Old August 22nd 03, 06:11 PM
Rich Wood

On 22 Aug 2003 14:48:24 GMT, "Steve Stone"
wrote:

Not lacking in news.. but lacking in local news.

There is a difference. Do I really care that the subway is broke in NYC when
no friend or family lives or works in NYC... or am I more interested to
know that I-84 has a backup up for 10 miles at the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge
because a tractor trailer full of hazmat dumped at a toll booth? (hint, I-84
can be seen from my backyard)

I would guess that hundreds of thousands of people stranded in
sweltering heat underground is a bigger story for a New York station
than a traffic backup on I-84. That day traffic was backed up
everywhere. Friends who live in New Jersey took as long as 12 hours to
make a trip that normally lasts less than 40 minutes on a bad day.

Most NYC stations don't know life exists north of Yonkers.

Are they supposed to? Your issue is with traffic. I recall lots of
Yonkers coverage when low income housing was proposed and the city
made lots of nimby noise.

It's rare that bedroom communities generate a lot of news. We do hear
about murders of wealthy people We still hear news about ugly,
self-centered, insensitive, PR socialite Lizzie Grubman running down
the rich and famous at a trendy nightclub on Long Island. Very, very
important news here in the city. She now has a radio show, giggly
gossip about terribly important rich people. I always tell people to
put your latest conviction at the top of your resume.

It takes a local axe murder to get coverage from NYC stations up here.

Unfortunately, that's news.

Rich