Old June 16th 04, 11:30 PM
Bob Haberkost

"WBRW" wrote in message ...
Daytime interference from WTOP's digital signal was found to be
"significant" at WARK's protected 0.50 mV/M contour, and "noticeable"
at its 0.75 mV/M contour.

Mark my words -- if there's one thing that's going to finally kill off
AM radio entirely in North America, it's definitely going to be IBOC.

You're preaching to the choir (or at least the priest sitting in the back of the
sanctuary). Your analysis is dead-on, excepting that the Canadians determined long
ago that AM was dying, and more recently, that FM should follow it into the grave as
soon as it's reasonably possible. The U-S's actions will only expedite the patient's
demise.

Living in Pittsburgh, and as you mention KDKA (I used to work for them, at that), I
can tell you that there were some winter mornings where WBZ's sidebands would blow
the doors off of even the metro-grade signal....I hate to think what's going to
happen when/if WBZ turns IBOC on at night. Then again, I don't really care. I gave
up AM pretty much when the noise floor went to -10 on most channels.
There must always be the appearance of lawfulness....especially when the law's being
broken.
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-