Old March 10th 04, 03:50 PM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
In view of the nil replies to the following posting it's safe to say that's
another old wives' tale which bites the dust.

Reg, we have a clear example of where the high voltage part of the
antenna is not allowed to radiate (much). That would be a balanced
top hat. Not allowing the high voltage part of the antenna to radiate
leaves the high current part to do most of the radiating. We know from
field strength measurements that a mobile antenna with a balanced top
hat can radiate as well (or better than) an antenna equipped with a
radiating high voltage top section.

If you keep the high voltage portion of the antenna and replace the
high current portion with an antenna tuner, the field strength falls
by some 12 dB.

Lengthening the high current section under the loading coil has a
much greater effect than lengthening the high-voltage section on top
of the loading coil.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp