Old September 22nd 04, 04:58 PM
Bob Haberkost

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

"McWebber" wrote in message
"Paul Anderson" wrote in message
In article , http://HireMe.geek.nz/
wrote:

Will the US CBS Network loose its broadcasting license over the Dan
Rather row?

CBS doesn't have "a" broadcasting license to "loose". They do own a
number of stations, though, that have licenses. I doubt a journalistic
mistake like this would cause someone to lose their license.

What mistake?

... presenting fake documents as real in a news story.

If you'd been following the story, the source, Burkett, was the one responsible for
the misrepresentation, as he claimed that he was "pressured" into providing the name
of the source, for the purposes of determining provenance for the documents in
question. This is appropriate journalistic practice. While CBS does hold some
responsibility for failing to fully prove that Burkett's claims were true, the fault
for the hoax lies fully with Burkett, who could have easily told the truth about the
documents' source. Holding Rather and CBS solely responsible for this fiasco is like
me holding you responsible for the lies we've been told by the Bush Administration.

But then, I do.
If there's nothing that offends you in your community, then you know you're not
living in a free society.
Kim Campbell - ex-Prime Minister of Canada - 2004
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-