Old August 12th 03, 12:25 AM
Bill Sohl

"Ryan, KC8PMX"
wrote in message

They are supposed to make those provisions. If they did not, they

were
in
the wrong. However, I would not favor them using hand sent code with

an
oscillator for two reasons. 1) Oscillators are often not adjustable

in
pitch. 2) Some people who copy quite well have absolutely lousy fists

and
do not send good clean code. It takes a pretty good op to copy some
of the people out there.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

And the fluctuation in CW skills is yet another reason to question its
validity as a testing element.

Kim W5TIT

But gee Kim, if someone has "made it" as a VE, shouldn't they be

proficient
in the mode(s) they are testing on?

At this point, it's not important or needed for morse
testing has LONG AGO deleted the "sending" part
of it and relied ONLY on the applicant decoding
pre-recorded tapes.

Seems to me that if someone is going to
qualify as a VE, they should be at an extreme proficiency level......

I've helped correct tests for teachers for subjects I
knew nothing about...nothing extradordinary there with
multiple choice...or checking a submitted set of
decoded morse text.

If a VE or VE team cannot effectively send a method of communication like
morse code as a required testing mode, it makes me wonder of the value of
the mode in the first place. If they are relagated to only using CD's or
tapes, I guess that would show the "dumbing down" of amateur radio,

bringing
it "one step further to extinction."

The reliance on tapes and CDs is because it is NOT all that
easy to be right on with sending code at any set speed (5, 13, 20
or whatever) by hand.

It is far easier to "machine generate" code text at specific speeds
and record them for a permanent use in testing.

Seems to me it should not be a problem for the whole VE groups to have a

set
"pre-scripted" QSO's. There could be as many as needed, 10, 20, 30 or

more
pre-made QSO's to send.

Far better to have the 20-30 or 40 prescripted QSOs recorded
and simply play back one. I initially learned morse for the
5 wpm test using 78 rpm record set from (I think) AMECO.

But, for all this speculation, the code test is soon to be just a historic
footnote, so what's all the fuss?

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK