Old August 18th 03, 08:58 PM
Bert Craig

"The2x4" wrote in message
Please tell us Bert that you are gonna put the thing in a better radio?

No need, it's desktop companions are a Yaesu FT-840 through a Timewave
DSP-599zx and an Elecraft K2. (Top dog receiver.) I'm kinda considering a
Ten-Tec Orion if the tax man is particularly good to me next year. :-)
There's just no emoticon for a $hit-eatin' grin.

$180 invested into a Grant CB. Seems way overkill. The radio is worth

about
$80 mint.

I bought the rig brand spankin' new for $124.95 on a close-out special. (Not
eBay!)

Whatever its yo' money.

Yup, some things you just can't put a price on.

Hey did you notice the ADSP unit is $180? The speaker is only $130. Ohhh
I see now. The speaker is called a ADSP speaker but doesn't have ADSP in

it.
That can't be right........ Tell me there IS a ADSP unit in the speaker

for
$130. That is $50 cheaper.

Not really sure, however, I wanted the board installed directly in the
receiver chain...not after. I've also used the ClearSpeech DSP external
speaker. The ADSP2 installation sounds much better and is more versatile wrt
the various levels of filtering.

The2x4

--
73 de Bert
WA2SI

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
.net...
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well. A while back, I'd mentioned that I'd QSO'd with

gent who was using a DSP board. Well, I had to try it out for myself and

had
SGC install their ADSP2 board into my Uniden Grant XL.

Some may say that it's like installing dual Weber side-draft 2 bbl.

carbs
on
a Ford Pinto 4 cyl. engine. (Actually that's been done.) Why do it?

Because
I can, that's why. ;-)

Actually, the base receiver of the Grant XL is a very good platform to

begin
with. It's the same chassis/board as the venerable Cobra 2000 GTL with

the
same great receiver. I'd already added CBCI's Channel Guard IF filter

with
good results, increased ACR. (Adjacent Channel Rejection) The ADSP2

installs
further down in the receiver chain so one doesn't interfere with the

other.
(No pun intended) :-)

Well, upon powering up the radio and cycling the two microswitchs

through
their positions, one thing became immediately clear...I was going to be

one
VERY happy camper. There are three filter settings; voice, CW1, and CW2

as
well as two levels of DSP, hence the two microswitches. Of course, each

can
be turned off completely. I find that the first DSP level is quite
sufficient and the voice filter is rarely even needed. However, when the
signal-to-noise ratio becomes unbearable, (As it has recently in this

locale
on both 10m and 11m.) it's nice to be able to "kick" the filtering level

up
a notch (Again, no pun intended.) or two.

Is it kinda pricey? Yeah, but it's no more than what many seem willing

shell out for an amplifier and its 100% legal. Here's the website. Hope

this
heps some of you, take care. :-)

www.sgcworld.com

--