Old March 13th 04, 10:08 PM
Walter Maxwell

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:53:34 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Richard Harrison wrote:
Cecil has argued that the high impedance at the open end of a shorted
1/4-wave stub does not inhibit current into the stub. The reflection
point is at the short, not at the high impedance point back 1/4-wave
from the short. That sounds reasonable to me, but I wonder if it makes
any difference.

Cecil wrote:
Only to those who think the stub is a physical open-circuit at the
mouth of the stub and therefore, no current flows in the stub. :-)

In a stub constructed of lossless material the only current that flows in the
stub is that required to bring it up to the steady statecondition.

In a practical stub with attenuation current flows into the stub continually,
but only that sufficient to compensate for the loss due to attenuation to retain
it's steady state condition.

Walt, W2DU