Old September 14th 03, 03:41 AM
Jim Hampton

You got that right. Alternator quit Thursday afternoon on a trip to a
friends. When I got there, I opened the hood and decided it isn't like
those old 56 Chevies and Fords I used to work on. They pack that stuff in
tight these days. Besides, I was 10 miles from home so ... called the
service station (he gave me a break when he heard "alternator" ... I think
the dollar signs appeared ... and only charged me $50.00 to tow the car 11
miles to his station). Ended up $50.00 for the tow, 1 hour labor, and
$169.00 for the alternator. Total bill including 8.25% sales tax was
$302.00 plus a few pennies. I'd have been out over $200 plus tax to do it
myself. Nah, I'll stick with the rods & reels LOL (besides, he had it fixed
and ready to go by 1:30 in the afternoon the next day whilst I was at work -
did I want to be without the car an extra day and work my fanny off to save
$65.00?)

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

---