Old February 5th 04, 12:59 AM
Jack Erbes

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:54:16 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
.. .

What was the code requirement for a General class license in 1967?
Why can't I get a dumbed down theory test that is commensurate with
the dumbed down, 5 WPM, code requirement?

Jack

The code speed was 13WPM. Sent for 5 solid minutes. You had to copy 1
minute of 100percent copy to have passed. After you demonstrated your
ability to send. This was in front of a FCC examiner, of course.

And that's the way I took it. At the Federal Building in San Diego.

The reason you can't get a dumbed down theory test as you indicated, is
that the tests now are already dumbed down. So if you took the 1967 test,
it would be harder.

Damn! If I almost passed the '67 test and then had a near miss on the
current test, that means I'm getting older and dumber, not older and
smarter. That hurts.

Thanks Dan, I guess I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way and
keep boning up until I can pass the General test. I suck at theory
and math but I am pretty good at deducing and/or memorizing answers
for multiple choice questions. I can do it.

Now I have to get a radio that works. I recently got a Yaesu 757-GX
that has turned out to be DOA. But it was free to this point so I'll
probably get it fixed if it is not too expensive. I might get on the
air yet.

In the mean time I'm enjoying reading some of the HAM news groups.