Old February 3rd 04, 12:40 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Old School" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:01:26 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

"Lou" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 20:44:09 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:30:46 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

Learning the code, and then not using it, is just plain DUMB.

Dan/W4NTI

No it isn't. The majority of Hams have no interest in CW. Like

myself,
we only learned it to get our license. Now, its time has passed.

Then I feel sorry for you.

Don't feel sorry for me. I have a beautiful home, with 2 rooms
dedicated to radios. I have over a dozen radios and 6 antennas
topside. I have no problem finding someone, somewhere to TALK to. You
old-timers want to peck away like woodpeckers. Have fun.

I am so proud of your life style. But that does not change a thing I

have
said. Bottom line is you are too lazy to learn the Morse code, thus you
are intentionally shutting yourself out of a enjoyable part of Amateur
Radio.

And further show your ignorance, you state we are 'pecking away'. Wrong
again.

Dan/W4NTI

Maybe enjoyable for you Dan, Others don't like it and feel that being
forced into it is not right. If we are not forced to operate in CW
mode, then why be forced to learn CW?

Then why are you not complaining about having to take a TEST on radio
theory?? Or is that next on the dumbing down list ?

Dan/W4NTI

Old February 3rd 04, 03:11 AM
Old School

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:40:51 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

"Old School" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:01:26 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

"Lou" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 20:44:09 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

.. .
mindspring.com wrote:

[...]

What is wrong with radio theory?
Old February 3rd 04, 07:16 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Old School" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:40:51 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

"Old School" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:01:26 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

"Lou" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 20:44:09 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

.. .

mindspring.com wrote:

[...]

Nothing at all. I just want to see if Lou thinks removing the test is next.

Dan/W4NTI

Old February 3rd 04, 11:20 PM
medina_mopo

Old School wrote:

What is wrong with radio theory?

Nothing, really. It's just that Steveo is either too dumb to learn it.
So his presence in amateur radio dumbs it down for everyone.

Old February 4th 04, 02:26 AM
Jack Erbes

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:11:04 GMT, Old School
wrote:

snip
Then why are you not complaining about having to take a TEST on radio
theory?? Or is that next on the dumbing down list ?

Dan/W4NTI

What is wrong with radio theory?

Nothing is wrong with it, but it is not needed to the depth or extent
that is tested for. I can tune and operate any transceiver without
knowing how to build it or repair it. I can build an antenna from a
drawing use basic math and mechanical skills.

Any knowledge more in depth than that would come from my needs and
desires. In the meantime I would operate in full compliance and as
cleanly as any amateur would be expected to operate.

Now look at it from the point of someone that has no trouble copying
code but stumbles on theory.

The Morse code requirements have been dumbed down a lot over the
years. When I was WN6MKE in 1967 or so I think I had to copy 13 WPM
to get that license. I never did advance it for a variety of reasons.

I can do Morse code. I can copy 15-20 wpm any day, for 20 odd years I
did as much as 35-40 (down on paper and formatted), and 60-90 WPM in
short mental "snapshots". That was when I was at my prime. I
operated transmitters and receivers and was very good at it. I did
not work on them, it was not my job. I was not even allowed to open
the cases!

But I have had lifelong poor mathematical/electronic theory skills.
It just does not soak in. I am now a relatively new and not active
yet Technician with code (K1JHE). I would like to have a general
license but have not passed the theory test yet (in only two tries).

When I look around, I see a lot of people with General licenses that
easily passed the theory test and ground out a pass on the dumbed down
5 WPM code test. I don't feel good about them.

They have a General license because it is easier to pass a dumbed down
Morse code test than it is to pass a theory test that has not been
dumbed down accordingly. I begrudge them that.

What was the code requirement for a General class license in 1967?
Why can't I get a dumbed down theory test that is commensurate with
the dumbed down, 5 WPM, code requirement?

Jack

Old February 4th 04, 04:54 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message

What was the code requirement for a General class license in 1967?
Why can't I get a dumbed down theory test that is commensurate with
the dumbed down, 5 WPM, code requirement?

Jack

The code speed was 13WPM. Sent for 5 solid minutes. You had to copy 1
minute of 100percent copy to have passed. After you demonstrated your
ability to send. This was in front of a FCC examiner, of course.

The reason you can't get a dumbed down theory test as you indicated, is
that the tests now are already dumbed down. So if you took the 1967 test,
it would be harder.

Dan/W4NTI

Old February 5th 04, 12:59 AM
Jack Erbes

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:54:16 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
.. .

What was the code requirement for a General class license in 1967?
Why can't I get a dumbed down theory test that is commensurate with
the dumbed down, 5 WPM, code requirement?

Jack

The code speed was 13WPM. Sent for 5 solid minutes. You had to copy 1
minute of 100percent copy to have passed. After you demonstrated your
ability to send. This was in front of a FCC examiner, of course.

And that's the way I took it. At the Federal Building in San Diego.

The reason you can't get a dumbed down theory test as you indicated, is
that the tests now are already dumbed down. So if you took the 1967 test,
it would be harder.

Damn! If I almost passed the '67 test and then had a near miss on the
current test, that means I'm getting older and dumber, not older and
smarter. That hurts.

Thanks Dan, I guess I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way and
keep boning up until I can pass the General test. I suck at theory
and math but I am pretty good at deducing and/or memorizing answers
for multiple choice questions. I can do it.

Now I have to get a radio that works. I recently got a Yaesu 757-GX
that has turned out to be DOA. But it was free to this point so I'll
probably get it fixed if it is not too expensive. I might get on the
air yet.

In the mean time I'm enjoying reading some of the HAM news groups.

ARRL Propose New License Class & Code-Free HF Access Lloyd Mitchell Antenna 43 October 26th 04 01:37 AM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement ROLDAIGNAULT CB 22 July 31st 03 12:54 AM