Old February 15th 04, 08:58 PM
w_tom

A person who so poorly protected his own home as to suffer
completely unnecessary computer and TV damage will now teach
me? One who even posted the classic urban myth about concrete
damage to prove Ufer grounding does not work? You just
realized something: someone on the other side does have a few
decades of experience and engineering degrees. If you had
one, then the concept of resistance and impedance would have
been correctly posted. However someone even did read 'tower
talk' - and posted citations from 'tower talk' in direct
contradiction to your posted myths. Well at least you are not
posting personal attacks this time. The world can get better.

In the meantime this is a discussion about the OPs antenna
mast; not a forum for personal attacks. The OP must earth
his antenna mast both for lightning protection AND as required
by the National Electrical Code. That answers his question.
Please feel free to address the purpose of this thread - the
Original Poster's original request for information -
Zeeeeeeee3 originally posted:
Planning to install a base antenna as soon as things warm up and
could use some help..........

So far I have an Imax 99 antenna.
I was thinking of attaching it to the garage side of my house
which is about~20 feet high at the peak. I would take a 5'
piece of antenna mast and pound it several feet into the
ground to secure the bottom and then attach 2 more 10' pieces
on top of that. The mast could be secured to the house with
several of those wall mount brackets. How does this sound
so far?

Now I understand that it must be grounded. Would having the
bottom section of mast pounded into the ground as I mentioned
suffice? or will I need to attach it to a seperate 8' ground
rod? If a seperate rod is needed, do I attach the ground
wire to the antenna mounting plate or the mast or either?
Near the top of the mast or near the bottom?

I also have read of the need for a 'static discharge unit' for
my coax. Could anyone recommend one? Google searches are not
helping me out much.

Have some more questions, but this seems enough for now. Any
help would be really appreciated. I've been trying to piece
information together from the web, but still need some more
help.

Lancer wrote:
Frank is 100% correct in what he posted. You have chosen to either
not fully read what he posted, or you are having trouble trying to
comprehend what he wrote. Take some time and read what others, who
have real experience, have written on the subject.