Old February 16th 04, 04:02 AM

Frank Gilliland wrote:
In ,
wrote:

..... We pushed poles in the ground with the bobcat and
post hole digger, mostly for lightning. Out here where I live, by
the time the fire dept gets here with the tanker (no hydrants)you're
toast.

Here's a little trick if you use a pipe for a ground rod: Thread both
ends of the pipe. On the top put a fitting that will accept a garden
hose. On the bottom put a reduction fitting (to be used as a nozzle).
Hold the pipe vertical, turn on the water full blast, then let the water
drill the hole. When you are done just unscrew the top fitting, and
PRESTO!!! A great ground rod without a lot of fuss.

BTW, this doesn't work very well in areas where there are a lot of large
rocks in the ground.....

That's a slick idea, we're sandy loam and clay around here. Next
time I sink a ground rod I'll remember the water.

--
Go 40 42 12