Old April 10th 04, 06:03 PM
Cecil Moore

Bob wrote:

Hi Steven

Thank you for your response to my problem.

Any suggestion? What you say is that I would be better off without that 1:1
balun? Yes, now I have it at 66feet each leg for a total of 132 feet but now
it is not at the best height but kinda sagging and lopping where it is but
off the ground and about 2 feet above the roof and other obstacles. I also
have it presently close to steel guy wires and the tower itself. What would
be my problem then here now?

The problem is the coax.

You believe it is my balun? I was hoping to get
this up there and then leave it. All this climbing is difficult. Do you
believe that once I get it up there, with the coax, with the dipole, no
balun, do you think that would allow me better results with a good antenna
tuner? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Feeding your dipole with ladder-line moves all the matching problems to the
hamshack where you don't have to climb anything to solve them. Try the following
configuration and get back to us on any remaining problems.

XMTR--tuner--1:1 balun/choke--100 ft. 450 ohm ladder-line---132 ft. dipole

This configuration will allow multi-band operation on most of the HF ham
bands. The problems you will have with a couple of bands are solvable.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP