Old April 10th 04, 10:08 PM
Stephen Cowell

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi Steven

Thank you for your response to my problem.
Any suggestion? What you say is that I would be better off without that

1:1
balun? Yes, now I have it at 66feet each leg for a total of 132 feet but

now
it is not at the best height but kinda sagging and lopping where it is but
off the ground and about 2 feet above the roof and other obstacles. I also
have it presently close to steel guy wires and the tower itself. What

would
be my problem then here now? You believe it is my balun?

The balun is basically what is limiting your multi-band
operation. At crazy impedances the balun
prevents the shield of the coax from assisting in absorbing
some of the mismatch. Others have pointed out that the
optimum situation is to feed your antenna with balanced line...
if you must use coax, and you must have multi-band operation,
then use an antenna tuner without a balun upstairs. RG58
doesn't work nearly as good as RG8... I couldn't make my
inverted vee (resonant at 3750kHz) work 15m until I switched
over to RG8. You should avoid legal-limit operation on the
higher bands with this setup, unless you like burnt coax.

I was hoping to get
this up there and then leave it. All this climbing is difficult. Do you
believe that once I get it up there, with the coax, with the dipole, no
balun, do you think that would allow me better results with a good antenna
tuner? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Yes, the good antenna tuner is the key. Get one
with a built-in balun, so you can try balanced feedline
when you get a chance. It really is hotter, both listening
and transmitting.

You should only climb once, put up a yardarm, rope,
and pulley, and then you can play to your heart's content.
Mounting a wire antenna permanently is pure hubris,
beware!
__
Steve
KI5YG