Old August 19th 04, 09:15 PM
Twistedhed

Part Deux
From N3CVJ:
What type accountability is
it you wish to foster upon those who dare say something on usenet with
which you may disagree?

There is nothing wrong with a healthy

disagreement. But when you make unfounded
character assassinations against those you

disagree with and then run and hide behind

your cloak of anonymity, that's not the sign of

a mature person.

If it were a true character assassination and something was injurous or
libelous, and IF you actually believed that bull**** and cared enough to
actually want to do something about it, there are simple channels to
follow and remedy the situation.

Are you suggesting that there are ways to

identify someone who takes serious steps to

hide their identity?

If unfounded character assassinations (libel) was committed, absolutely.

How? When people hide behind anonymous

remailers, servers, public WIFI access nodes,

and NAT routers, how can you find out exactly
who they are?

Do some homework on the wealth of information out there,,,visit some of
the hacker sites and groups,,,how do you think the launchers of serious
virus' are tracked down? In the fist manner, I was under the impression
you were speaking of this group. Since it is now apparent you are
experiencing problems of this nature somewhere else, I suggest you
consult an attorney. They give free consults. If you need one
specializing in internet related issues in your area, I will be more
than happy to point you in the right direction.

Or are you saying that we all should just have

to deal with abusive insulting and libelous

comments because they are not worth the

trouble to pursue seriously?

You said that.

I'm asking if that is how you feel?

If my emotions were to take over, I would simply trn the thing off and
walk away. No one is forcing you to partake in what you view as an
injurous electronic arena. It is your choice.

The same "turn it to the left" mentality that

abusive CBers use to force good people off of

the CB band?

The very idea that you feel "forced" by another has moved you to the
point of wanting to force others to conform to your beliefs,,,nice.

Decent people should be forced to yield to

malcontents, rather than fight back?

That is a personal decision and an apparent unresolved issue that
plagues you.

I believe in the example of not saying

something on a forum, that you wouldn't have

the cajones to say to someone's face.

Very noble. Many agree with you. Obviously, those like Dogie, do not.

Doug has personal issues of his own.

....and he fostered his personal issues on this group. Again, I ask of
you, how would you he be held accountable for such behavior that you
continue to rail against?

suspect they transcend those of radio

operation.

The fact is that being anonymous eliminates

the small chance that the person you may

insult might someday show up at your door to

have you "explain" yourself in person, thereby

removing that little bit of polite restraint you

might otherwise have.

I have incredible restraint and am overly polite, even to you in many
instances when you began reambling off-topic with insult. I invite
anyone who has a problem with me to come forward.

How does one "come forward" if we don't

know who you are or where you live?

"We" lends the notion you are aware of someone, other than you, who
shares your incredible identity obsessions and problem regarding
myself. Care to specify?
Who I am and where I live is personal information, something you claimed
you didn't seek.
Many know where I live. I am incredibly easy to find, as Doctor X
recently found.

Of course, those who
do, encapsulate the very idea you are railing
against...not identifying themselevs, only it doesn't bother me like it
does you. I have an open door policy and will meet anyone from this
group for coffee, fishing, or to continue our rec.radio.cb debates.

Ok, I'm coming to Orlando in October. I might

make a detour to Tampa. Where do you want

to meet?

My house. Are you driving? Bring a radio. I'll guide you right to my
front door from the interstate.

_
So far, I have met several from
this forum and plan on meeting more. If I didn't fish for the day, and
we didn't talk about politics or cb, I am certain you and I would get
along just fine on the boat for an afternoon ride talking of nothing but
hammie radio.

Nothing wrong about talking about CB. I love

the hobby (at least in the old days), and I

could tell you a few good stories. But in order

for you to talk authoritatively about hammie

radio, that would imply that you are a ham

yourself (or at least should be). You've implied
similar before. The fact that you won't admit it

one way or the other probably speaks more

about your fear of identification, considering

your admitted behavior on the freeband.

No doubt about it. Using the freeband always runs the risk of being
identified.
But you can rest easy realizing that I just may, perhaps, have the best
of both worlds and have for years.

Don't worry, I have a whole website full of past
antics, and no one has busted me yet. As I've

said before, I have nothing to hide......

Nevertheless, this is not the law and doesn't apply to the majority.

=A0=A0Anonymity is the enabler for people to act

inappropriately, and rudely. Using the excuse

that privacy overrides acting in a civilized

manner is weak IMHO.

No one suggested such..but the gist of it, is that American's are
afforded the right to act like idiots, even it offends you to no end.
Using the excuse that it ought be over-ridden is what is weak.

So then you assert that an American's right to

act like an anti-social idiot deserves more

consideration than other people's right to

expect civilized behavior in public places?

You said that. You're wandering. You are confusing consideration with
rights. There are very many things I can do well within my rights that
offend you, in fact, I have no problem offending you with my legal
rights merely because you disagree with them and my right to exercise
them.

_
Simply speaking one's opinion (however

insulting or rude) is still a 1st amendment

right, and ISP's are reluctant to go down that

road.

You weren't talking of an opinion, Davie, you spoke of character
assassination.

Character assassination is either based on

truth, or opinion.

Wrong. Truth is not character assassination.

If the claims are true then they deserve to be

brought out. If they are simply opinions, then it
becomes a process to determine whether

there was any "real" damage done. Again this

becomes complicated if people "hide" well.

But easily enforceable via a court of law.

Having your identity known, at least tempers

the temptation to act like a retard.

And goes against everything the world of security experts and all isp's
tell you. As far as I know, acting like "a retard" is perfectly legal,
but if you had your way, anything you deemed 'acting like a retard"
would most certainly be illegal.

Acting rude, inconsiderate, or anti-social, is

also not illegal, but it's not something a

civilized person would do in a public forum.

Therein lies the answer to what ails you. Not all people in public
forums are civilized.
Nevertheless, these traits you consider
uncivilized, exist in these "bad" people you speak of, and unfortunately
the word is made up of good AND bad people.

So then what is your conclusion?

That you have problems following your own claims and posts and have damn
near destroyed the thread with your snips and edits.,

Should good

people be turned away from public forums

(Both radio and internet) by the behavior of

the bad people?

Your words. In fact, you are the only one seeking to do away with what
you perceive as "bad" people,,,those that do not conform to your idea of
identifying themselves.

Do good people not have some right to

protection from the worst of the bad people?

Isn't this in the best interest of society? Is the

right of privacy so important that you would

allow it to supersede keeping public places to

at least a minimum amount of decorum?

It's not in my hands or yours, no matter how bad you wish you had that
type control on usenet.