Old October 10th 04, 11:19 PM
DR. Death

"Alex" wrote in message
Just wanted to ask if my wilson 1000 would work as good a little bit
further back than the middle of the roof. Right now it is about 7"
from the windshield, (not even middle) and the coax is run through the
sliding door window on my van (seats right behind the driver seat) and
about 2-2.5 foot of coax is showing. The only reason I put it there
was I can tell by pressing down on the roof that there is more metal
there. Also Wilson's site said 6-12" from winshield was best. It's
like right above the dome light.

I can eliminate so much coax showing by moving it back some towards
my luggage rack. The luggage rack is hard plastic, not metal. Using
tape underneath the luggage rack and being able to tape the coax
underneath the luggage rack and running it through the same window
will then only show about 4 inches of cable.

My swr is about 1.3-1.4 on channels 1, 20 and 40 where it sits now. I
really want to move it to hide some more of the coax. I wanted to know
that if I can get my readings about the same as they are now am I
going to be losing any performance by not having it right on top of
the good sturdy metal where it sits now?

Dead center of the vehicle (if possible) is the best place.
1.3 is a good swr reading
When hiding any coax make sure you do not coil it as it will create
inductance.