Old October 10th 04, 09:56 PM
Alex

Default Another Question Wilson 1000 Magnet

Just wanted to ask if my wilson 1000 would work as good a little bit
further back than the middle of the roof. Right now it is about 7"
from the windshield, (not even middle) and the coax is run through the
sliding door window on my van (seats right behind the driver seat) and
about 2-2.5 foot of coax is showing. The only reason I put it there
was I can tell by pressing down on the roof that there is more metal
there. Also Wilson's site said 6-12" from winshield was best. It's
like right above the dome light.

I can eliminate so much coax showing by moving it back some towards
my luggage rack. The luggage rack is hard plastic, not metal. Using
tape underneath the luggage rack and being able to tape the coax
underneath the luggage rack and running it through the same window
will then only show about 4 inches of cable.

My swr is about 1.3-1.4 on channels 1, 20 and 40 where it sits now. I
really want to move it to hide some more of the coax. I wanted to know
that if I can get my readings about the same as they are now am I
going to be losing any performance by not having it right on top of
the good sturdy metal where it sits now?
Old October 10th 04, 11:04 PM
Dr.X

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

I have mine dead center of the van. I think you're making the flexing metal
issue bigger than it really is. If they put a luggage rack up there, does
that mean the metal in the middle would be strong enough to hold up all that
luggage? Should be strong enough for the antenna. Mine is but it's a
different van too. It does flex, but nothing dangerous.

The center of the van will give you the most even radiation pattern. If you
place the antenna at the back of the van, then the strongest signal will go
toward the front. If you place it at the front of the van, the signal will
be strongest toward the back of the van. It follows the larger part of the
vehicle. Put it in the center if you want it to be more even front to back.
the radiation pattern will look a little more oval (sides are shorter than
front to back).

hth,
-Dr.X

Old October 10th 04, 11:19 PM
DR. Death

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

Dead center of the vehicle (if possible) is the best place.
1.3 is a good swr reading
When hiding any coax make sure you do not coil it as it will create
inductance.

got my wilson 1000 have question Alex CB 7 October 12th 04 01:53 AM
Wilson 1000 question Alex CB 2 October 10th 04 04:37 PM
Newbie setup, & need opinions and ?'s about GPvsNGP Alex CB 2 October 9th 04 09:48 AM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM