Old January 11th 05, 04:02 PM
Dave Hall

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:48:46 GMT, "Landshark"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 05:19:54 GMT, "Landshark"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:57:27 -0500, (Twistedhed)
wrote:

From:
(Dave Hall) wrote:
The "DX" has nothing to do with the amount of splatter and the
distortion a signal may have. The only effect that "DX" may have is
heterodyning of co-channel signals. In any case, when my observations
were made, the "DX" was not running heavy enough that a clean sample
of any particular transmission could not be made.

Ummm, no Dave. DX has everything to do with DX splatter.

No, it doesn't. Dx is simply an enhancement of the atmosphere which
allows a signal to propagate farther then normal line of sight. It
does not add "splatter" to an otherwise clean signal.

Ah, that explains everything. So when a normal channel
has maybe 5 to 10 operators, add another 100 because of
skip conditions, of course there will be some running
clipped & mod radio's, you don't think that enhances
the splatter?

Not to any one single radio signal. You are confusing heterodyning
with splatter.

So therefore it can be assumed that a roger beep and (even more
definite) an echo box could be considered "entertainment" or
"amusement" devices and, as such, are specifically prohibited.

You can make the point that the FCC doesn't care enough to make a case
about these things, and I would probably agree with you. But the fact
remains that they are prohibited by the rules.

We've gone over this before Dave, your wrong.

I have referenced two part 95 rules which address both the issue of
permissible non-voice transmissions and also prohibited transmissions
which include devices which are used for entertainment and amusement.

Conversely there are no rules which specifically allow either a roger
beep (and other noise makers) or echo boxes. Since neither are defined
under permissible non-voice transmissions, it can reasonably be
concluded that these devices would be considered amusement or
entertainment devices, and as such prohibited.

You tell me I'm wrong, then please prove it by providing the rules
which allow these devices.

If I showed you CB radio's being sold BRAND NEW
with roger beeps, will that do?

It will tell me that there are a few companies which are willing to
play loose and fast with the rules, until they are spanked for it.
Galaxy radios are notorious for catering to the illegal freeband
market. It's no surprise that they push the limit. Knowing that the
FCC is not all that interested in small CB rule issues, they take the
gamble that they won't be judged. They're probably right....

There is still nothing in the rules which allow for devices that can
be considered entertainment.

Dave
"Sandbagger"