Old July 24th 03, 06:06 PM
Frank

PowerHouse CB & Scanner ...

^ Because of it's ability to increase power on the
^ frequencies that are common between FRS and GMRS, the
^ unit is not (or should not be) certified for use as
^ an FRS radio, there-by making illegal to use as one,
^ as certification is required.

Good points. But while reading your rules I think I found a better one:

Sec. 95.194 (FRS Rule 4) FRS units.
(a) You may only use an FCC certified FRS unit. (You
can identify an FCC certified FRS unit by the label
placed on it by the manufacturer.)

The radios we've been discussing are GMRS/FRS radios. An FRS operator is
permitted to "only use an FCC certified FRS unit." An FRS operator is not
permitted to use a GMRS radio unit. As per the regulations you cited,
GMRS/FRS units are GMRS units with FRS capabilities, so they may not be used
without a GMRS license.

Frank