Old January 23rd 04, 11:59 PM
john wilson

Forget that silliness and aggravation. It won't work. The
downconversion losses will kill you IF you ever were successful in
configuring anything. Go to "www.videoscanner.co.uk". G1MFG, a
manufacturer of ham radio equipment, makes a 2,400-2,600 mhz.
audio/video scanner. It basically is a 5 inch B/W monitor with a 2.4
ghz. scanning circuitry built in. It is 12VDC power. A scan frequency
graphic displays on the top of the screen when scanning. I have had
mine for over a year and it is a lot of fun to use mobile. It works
good, really good. Rarely do I drive more than a few miles near any
civilization where I don't get a "hit". Users include but are not
limited to remote security monitors, public service or private sector
air and or ground covert video surveillance, wildlife monitoring, robot
bomb disposal control, Fire Dept. Infrared detection, in car race video
and video senders that are used to relay tv programing from one part of
a house to another, or video baby sitting. It has no problem detecting
and locking onto NTSC baseband signals and demodulating any audio
subcarrier that may accompany the video. I modified my videoscanner
unit by carefully removing the chassis 2 ghz. "paddle" antenna and
replaced it with a 2 ghz. rated coax jumper with a male N connector. I
had a company in Florida modify a 2 ghz. mobile mag mount antenna they
sold with a male N connector. I use a female N "barrel" connector to
connect the two jumper coax cables.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, my reception experience has proven
that 2 ghz. signals transmit much much farther than the public has been
led to believe and can be received much farther away than one would
imagine. Some 2 ghz. point to point links can be as much as 5-10 miles
distant.

The Videoscanner costs about $385 including shipping from England.
You cannot buy one in the US.

FYI most of the frequencies of interest mostly are ABOVE the 2,450
mhz. upper cutoff frequency. There is no comparable product available
at the consumer level.

I publish the "USA Surveillance and Detection Directory" that
currently contains approximately 2,000+ listings of vhf/uhf and 2 ghz.+
users and covers all 50 states. Just because you live in small town
don't think there isn't any covert audio/ video surveillance activity.
Some users operate statewide and interstate. The 2004 edition now is
available on CD ROM in MS EXCEL format for $20 plus $5 shipping. For
ordering information send an email to: .

"news.newsreader.com" wrote:

Is there a downconverter for 2.4ghz. I have a ratshack 2005 with
optoscan456. I would like to explore the 2.4ghz band.
Tom

========