Old November 17th 03, 12:51 AM
news.newsreader.com

Default 2.4ghz downconverter

Is there a downconverter for 2.4ghz. I have a ratshack 2005 with
optoscan456. I would like to explore the 2.4ghz band.
Tom

Old November 17th 03, 01:48 AM
Steve Uhrig

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:51:55 -0500, "news.newsreader.com" t wrote:

Is there a downconverter for 2.4ghz. I have a ratshack 2005 with
optoscan456. I would like to explore the 2.4ghz band.

Yes, but they're test equipment accessories, and expensive.

Look at www.avcomofva.com under Analyzer Accessories.

They will downconvert the specified frequencies to 1-1000 megacycles
as covered by their PSA-65C spectrum analyzer. Will work with
anything, but you would have to add your own 12VDC. Whatever modes
your receiver can demodulate will be the same.

Do a Google search on the part number for sources to buy. Prices seem
to be fixed, and Avcom doesn't sell direct.

Sensitivity is pretty good on the things.

Steve

************************************************** *******************
Steve Uhrig, SWS Security, Maryland (USA)
Mfrs of electronic surveillance equip
website http://www.swssec.com
tel +1+410-879-4035, fax +1+410-836-1190
"In God we trust, all others we monitor"
************************************************** *******************
Old November 18th 03, 01:04 AM
news.newsreader.com

Thanks,
Except for a few scanners in the thousand dollar range most scanners top out
at 1.3ghz to 1.5ghz. I find it hard to believe that I am the only one
looking for a downconventer in the 2.4ghz range. A google search yields very
little. There are so many cheap devices using 2.4ghz, why is it so hard for
someone to develop a cheap 2.4 downconverter?
Tom

Old November 19th 03, 04:36 AM
Craig Davidson

news.newsreader.com wrote in message
Thanks,
Except for a few scanners in the thousand dollar range most scanners top

out
at 1.3ghz to 1.5ghz. I find it hard to believe that I am the only one
looking for a downconventer in the 2.4ghz range. A google search yields

very
little. There are so many cheap devices using 2.4ghz, why is it so hard for
someone to develop a cheap 2.4 downconverter?
Tom

"Steve Uhrig" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:51:55 -0500, "news.newsreader.com" t wrote:

Is there a downconverter for 2.4ghz. I have a ratshack 2005 with
optoscan456. I would like to explore the 2.4ghz band.

Yes, but they're test equipment accessories, and expensive.

Look at www.avcomofva.com under Analyzer Accessories.

They will downconvert the specified frequencies to 1-1000 megacycles
as covered by their PSA-65C spectrum analyzer. Will work with
anything, but you would have to add your own 12VDC. Whatever modes
your receiver can demodulate will be the same.

Do a Google search on the part number for sources to buy. Prices seem
to be fixed, and Avcom doesn't sell direct.

Sensitivity is pretty good on the things.

From Bob Seydler, K5GNA:

I now have brand new, modified TranSystem AIDC 3731 downconverters that have
been retuned on a NF meter to have a noise figure of better than 1.1 dB and
passband of about 2400 - 2586 MHZ. The image rejection has been measured at
better than 50 dB. They only come with an N adapter and the length has been
cut down, so do not have the mounting area in the rear to mount in the focus
of a dish like the 3733's will. They are smaller and are made to mount
directly on an N connector.

The total bandwidth is wider than my modified 3733's with the Murata filter,
being about 186 MHZ instead of 85 MHZ. But, the front end combline filter
at
the antenna is much narrower than the 3733's and will provide some better
isolation from your uplink transmitter.

I am selling them ready to go for $70.00 each with the 123 MHZ output. You
can order them directly from me -- PLEASE CONTACT ME AT . I
have them listed on Ebay for easy viewing. You can see the picture and get
better description -- here is the URL:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...wListedItems&;
userid=k5gna&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

Thanks,

Bob Seydler
K5GNA

also take a look at:

http://www.ultimatecharger.com/Dish_...d_Preamps.html

http://www.ultimatecharger.com/Dish_AO-40.html

http://www.uk.amsat.org/ListArchives.../msg14713.html

Old November 19th 03, 05:50 AM
Dale Parfitt

Not sure how wide a BW you want to monitor, but you can p/u a CATV MMDS down
converter for under $50. I have some around here somewhere. The amateurs use
them to receive AO-40 satellites - they down convert to the VHF HI band.

Dale W4OP

Old January 23rd 04, 11:59 PM
john wilson

Forget that silliness and aggravation. It won't work. The
downconversion losses will kill you IF you ever were successful in
configuring anything. Go to "www.videoscanner.co.uk". G1MFG, a
manufacturer of ham radio equipment, makes a 2,400-2,600 mhz.
audio/video scanner. It basically is a 5 inch B/W monitor with a 2.4
ghz. scanning circuitry built in. It is 12VDC power. A scan frequency
graphic displays on the top of the screen when scanning. I have had
mine for over a year and it is a lot of fun to use mobile. It works
good, really good. Rarely do I drive more than a few miles near any
civilization where I don't get a "hit". Users include but are not
limited to remote security monitors, public service or private sector
air and or ground covert video surveillance, wildlife monitoring, robot
bomb disposal control, Fire Dept. Infrared detection, in car race video
and video senders that are used to relay tv programing from one part of
a house to another, or video baby sitting. It has no problem detecting
and locking onto NTSC baseband signals and demodulating any audio
subcarrier that may accompany the video. I modified my videoscanner
unit by carefully removing the chassis 2 ghz. "paddle" antenna and
replaced it with a 2 ghz. rated coax jumper with a male N connector. I
had a company in Florida modify a 2 ghz. mobile mag mount antenna they
sold with a male N connector. I use a female N "barrel" connector to
connect the two jumper coax cables.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, my reception experience has proven
that 2 ghz. signals transmit much much farther than the public has been
led to believe and can be received much farther away than one would
imagine. Some 2 ghz. point to point links can be as much as 5-10 miles
distant.

The Videoscanner costs about $385 including shipping from England.
You cannot buy one in the US.

FYI most of the frequencies of interest mostly are ABOVE the 2,450
mhz. upper cutoff frequency. There is no comparable product available
at the consumer level.

I publish the "USA Surveillance and Detection Directory" that
currently contains approximately 2,000+ listings of vhf/uhf and 2 ghz.+
users and covers all 50 states. Just because you live in small town
don't think there isn't any covert audio/ video surveillance activity.
Some users operate statewide and interstate. The 2004 edition now is
available on CD ROM in MS EXCEL format for $20 plus $5 shipping. For
ordering information send an email to: .

========