Old February 21st 04, 03:12 AM
MR NO SPAM

I forgot to mention one thing. I've torn apart many packs when I was
scrapping for cells in a severe shortage. I had several packs here. I took a
fine pair of dikes and cut/peel the straps off just under them from the
battery. I reuse them to do other packs. THEY ARE SHARP... BE CAREFUL.
They'll get you like a razor or paper cut. In a pinch, I also use regular
wire as a strap. Small gauge, about 18 or higher. MNS

"MR NO SPAM" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
What do you think about just replacing the batteries inside with new
Ni-Cads
from the store? Any problems just soldering them together, or should

buy
"shaver" batteries with the terminals built in, though they are much

more
money?

Most batteries are very difficult to solder to if they do not have the
solder tabs built on. The material does not seem to take solder very

well
and also you can over heat the battery. The solder tabs are usually

spot
welded on.

I've "roughed" up the ends of nicads a bit - scratching them with a knife

or
sandpaper or whatever, then spot "soldered" or "tinned" them prior to

adding
any leads. I've had pretty good success doing that. Some cells do give
trouble not wanting to take solder, but most have done ok. IF you're good

at
soldering, you should be able to do it with minimal heat to the battery.
I've rebuilt more packs than I can remember. My earlier problem was - in
experimenting - I used older cells with "some" life left. After a while

they
did die and had to be replaced, sooner than newer cells of course. But

then
I bought new cells and have had good luck with all packs. So, it isn't
impossible! MNS