Old March 21st 04, 07:53 PM
Waterperson77

ime to buy a new scanner, I think.

that's what I thought to. Unfortunately or fortunately, however you decide to
look at it, I ended up buying the IC-R3.'

have no complaints about this model.

However, I do about my model, sort of.

It has done what is was designed to
do just fine for me

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for mine. (regarding all the hype about how
it could pick up wireless cameras and had "three tv modes, AM-TV mode, FM-tv
mode, and Wireless Camera mode" on it.

When I got mine, it had only two tv modes on it, AM-TV mode and FM-tv mode.
Where is the third mode (the "wireles camera mode") that the literature in the
ads said that it had on it? It's not listed in the instructtion manual.

However, I read that the sensitivity on it in the regular scanner bands is
good, but that the problem is the squelch control on it is set too high by the
factory . (even at the minimum squelch level of one) (which then of course,
renders it kind of useless for sensitive scanning).

I read that with the squelch turned all the way off, the R3 picked up stations
as good as as other good scanners.

But as I was saying, what good does it do to have the squelch all the way off
if you're trying to scan? It makes it kind of impossible to do so. ;0

As for picking up 2.4 GHZ video on it, my experience has been that it really is
very insensitive in that area.

The review I was reading that I'm talking about in this thread said that the R3
is okay on frequencies below one gigahertz for picking up stations, but not
good at frequencies above one gigahertz.

That the problem with it below one gigahertz is in the squelch settings as the
factory set them.

However, from my own observation of te specs claimed in the manual, I'm going
to have to slightly disagree with the article and I think the R3 is probably
okay up to two gigahertz, but very terrible above two gigahertz.