Old March 10th 04, 11:59 PM
Jim Hackett

Default Time to buy a new scanner, I think..

Santa Clara P.D. and S.J.P.D.'s S.W.A.T. are trunked...

"Charlie Durand" wrote in message
newsZL3c.225684$jk2.928278@attbi_s53...
Hey there,

I currently have two scanners. They are both Uniden BC200xlt's.

I have no complaints about this model. It has done what is was designed

do just fine for me.

No trunking though. I'd like to check that out.

No digital either. I don't know if this would be a benefit or not to me

in
my area.

First, I live in Santa Clara County, California. What am I missing that

you
enjoy monitoring? I currently monitor the local fire and police
departments. Sometimes I'll check out the commercial flights at the local
airports.

I'd like to check out the military air communications. Is there much to

be
heard in the Bay Area though? I think all the bases are gone now.

The latest Uniden is the BC296 so that's probably what I'd be looking to
buy.

Thanks in advance!

Charlie

Old March 11th 04, 04:45 AM
Charlie Durand

Thanks for the reponse.. that takes care of the trunked question.

Are there are digital signals worth listening to in the Bay Area? That you
know of .. of course.

link.net...

Old March 11th 04, 02:43 PM
Jim Hackett

Some of the Sheriff frequencies are digital BUT just because they are
digital doesn't mean they can be listened to by a digital scanner. You need
to know what type they use then see if the scanner you want can decode that
type of transmission...

Old March 12th 04, 03:20 PM
Don Starr

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:42:59 GMT, "Charlie Durand"
wrote:

Hey there,

I currently have two scanners. They are both Uniden BC200xlt's.

I have no complaints about this model. It has done what is was designed to
do just fine for me.

No trunking though. I'd like to check that out.

No digital either. I don't know if this would be a benefit or not to me in
my area.

First, I live in Santa Clara County, California. What am I missing that you
enjoy monitoring? I currently monitor the local fire and police
departments. Sometimes I'll check out the commercial flights at the local
airports.

I'd like to check out the military air communications. Is there much to be
heard in the Bay Area though? I think all the bases are gone now.

The latest Uniden is the BC296 so that's probably what I'd be looking to
buy.

Thanks in advance!

Charlie

I'm in Santa Clara (city of) and use a PRO-96 to monitor:
* The city's 800 MHz Mot Type-II system (all police, FD, etc.).
* County sheriff (non-trunked digital). I mostly listen to the
operations in/around Cupertino.
* Moffett Field. There are still some Mil-Air operations going
on there.
* CHP - the "instant" CTCSS decode on the 96 is great for that.

I mainly listen to the city, but occasionally "un-lock-out" the
others.

-Don

Old March 21st 04, 07:53 PM
Waterperson77

ime to buy a new scanner, I think.

that's what I thought to. Unfortunately or fortunately, however you decide to
look at it, I ended up buying the IC-R3.'

have no complaints about this model.

However, I do about my model, sort of.

It has done what is was designed to
do just fine for me

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for mine. (regarding all the hype about how
it could pick up wireless cameras and had "three tv modes, AM-TV mode, FM-tv
mode, and Wireless Camera mode" on it.

When I got mine, it had only two tv modes on it, AM-TV mode and FM-tv mode.
Where is the third mode (the "wireles camera mode") that the literature in the
ads said that it had on it? It's not listed in the instructtion manual.

However, I read that the sensitivity on it in the regular scanner bands is
good, but that the problem is the squelch control on it is set too high by the
factory . (even at the minimum squelch level of one) (which then of course,
renders it kind of useless for sensitive scanning).

I read that with the squelch turned all the way off, the R3 picked up stations
as good as as other good scanners.

But as I was saying, what good does it do to have the squelch all the way off
if you're trying to scan? It makes it kind of impossible to do so. ;0

As for picking up 2.4 GHZ video on it, my experience has been that it really is
very insensitive in that area.

The review I was reading that I'm talking about in this thread said that the R3
is okay on frequencies below one gigahertz for picking up stations, but not
good at frequencies above one gigahertz.

That the problem with it below one gigahertz is in the squelch settings as the
factory set them.

However, from my own observation of te specs claimed in the manual, I'm going
to have to slightly disagree with the article and I think the R3 is probably
okay up to two gigahertz, but very terrible above two gigahertz.

New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner Paul Keenleyside Scanner 3 December 10th 03 03:39 AM
Scanner Bearcat 250 Help! Nick Scanner 6 September 27th 03 08:59 PM
North-Central Florida Mil Logs 9/10/2003 & 9/11/2003 GeorgeF Scanner 1 September 13th 03 04:10 AM
North-Central Florida Mil Logs 9/3/2003 GeorgeF Scanner 0 September 4th 03 01:15 AM