Old May 28th 04, 10:24 PM
Jim Douglas

Is the service place still in business, do you still have the receipt? Let
the service guy know, and also Icom company that their service places do
this to customers.

"Strafe" wrote in message
.. .
I have owned an R1 for the past 10+ years and use it occasionally. As the
only local authorized Icom repair shop has told me (who I now believe to

be
a total scam artist) 'If you don't occasionally use the radio, the

internal
battery will die and have to be replaced'. So, the last time this happened

attempted to unsolder and remove/replace the internal CL2020-1VC myself.

My
soldering skills suck and I ended up having the scammer fix this for me as
well as replace the internal NiCd battery (P-03ER/F23G1). I'm pulling

these
part numbers from the service manual BTW. Well, another 2 years have

passed
and I haven't used the radio in a while and of course the R1 is completely
dead again. No amount of charging (with the ac adapter) will bring it back
up. So I decide to try to fix it agin myself. I take the radio apart and
what do I find? The scammer NEVER REPLACED the CL2020, there is just an
empty space where the battery should be.

So, Problem #1 - I'm having trouble sourcing a CL2020-1VC. I'm not sure if
that 1VC means 1 volt or not because all the CL2020's I've seen say they

are
3 volts. I'll also need a sleeve for it to solder it back on the board (I
have a much better soldering iron now, maybe that will help). Getting the
battery with the sleve already would be great.

Problem #2 - How can I test the internal NiCd? I don't understand why it's
not charging. If I need another one I will need a source for that as well.

You may have guessed I know next to nothing about electronics but I'm
looking to learn, thanks for any help you can provide!

Matt