Old August 25th 04, 03:03 AM
Paul Hirose

Several years ago I had to track down some missing government
property: a Motorola handheld trunked radio. The land mobile radio
shop was able to determine that it hadn't been turned on anytime
recently, at least within range of our net. When one of these radios
powers up, it gets on the air and logs in, even if the transmit button
isn't touched. The event is recorded and time-stamped in a computer.

The tech said that if desired they could put a "trap" on the missing
radio, which would disable it at login.

My memory is a little hazy on the outcome, but I think the radio was
eventually found in the desk of an authorized user who had simply
forgotten about it.

Recently I heard a Los Angeles County Sheriff dispatcher ask a deputy
to get his radio reset, because it was showing "stolen" on their
computer and triggering warnings at the dispatch center every time he
keyed his mic.

--

Paul Hirose
To reply by email delete INVALID from address.