Old September 3rd 04, 01:25 PM
Gerry Wheeler

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 21:34:11 -0700, alskal wrote:

The past few days a new ID has been using the system that I do not have
and the list I used for the other ID's does not contain the new ID. This
is a public saftey system that contains the Onondaga county fire, EMS,
and a few others. Is there somewhere that contains listings of ID's
allowed to use the system? Anything on file with FCC or other agency
that I can find?

In most cases you just have to figure it out from what they're talking
about. You might also get some clues from their codes. For example, our
county deputies use the usual "10-4", but the city police use "oh 4".

Our local system has almost all county agencies (animal control, parks,
utilities, building inspectors, etc.) so there are many talkgroups I don't
want to bother with. But, after hours, most of them go away, so I run the
scanner in "open" mode in the evenings to look for new activity.
Rarely-used talkgroups also tend to pop up during emergency events, such
as hurricanes. Then, as you've found, the hard part is figuring out who
they are.

--
Gerry Wheeler
Naples, FL