Old September 6th 04, 06:42 AM

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 23:38:34 GMT, "Buzzygirl"
wrote:

"Russ" wrote in message
.. .
First of all, there are only three kinds of people to a cop. Cops,
cop's families and suspects. Second, never ask a cop about the law.
They don't know dick about it. If they did, they'd be lawyers.

True. Which is why even a ham should print out and carry a copy of their
states' statutes regarding scanners if they live in a state like Minnesota;
i.e. where only hams can have scanners in their cars (or if you've gotten a
"special permit" from the state to have one in your car). Even though I
don't have a scanner in my car, many mobile amateur radios have extended
coverage that can pick up the police bands in the 150 MHz range, which makes
them "scanners".

Is this a legal definition? I would expect that a scanner
would have to have the capability of automatically "scanning" a number
of frequencies.

Not that this would dissuade the kind of cop who takes your
carrying such documentation as a personal challenge to his authority.

I printed out a copy of the Minnesota state statute and a
copy of my amateur radio license and I keep them in my glove compartment,
just in case I ever get pulled over and a cop notices my 2 meter radio. The
statute's very clear as to who can and cannot have a "scanner" in their car
in Minnesota.

Jackie