Old May 28th 04, 05:16 AM
alhearn

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message ...
I'm probably not the only one that is getting an adequate fill of facts,
opinions and quotes. I have only one request. Does anyone have verifiable
and repeatable evidence that a properly tuned pi network final amplifier
without a tuner does or does not dissipate power when there are reflections?
If they do can they please direct us to the source or give us an easliy
understandable write up.

If you read Chapter 13, "RF Power Amplifiers and Projects", in the
2004 ARRL Handbook, there are pages and pages of discussion of
matching plate or transistor output impedances to 50 ohms output and
not once do they ever refer to output networks dissipating or
reflecting reflected power. Not once. It's always a matter of simply
matching one impedance to another to provide the highest power output
consistent with required linearity, while staying within the
amplifiying device's ratings.

Transmission lines have reflections; output matching networks and
tuners don't. The reflections on transmission lines don't make it past
the end of the transmission line -- that's where the reflections take
place. Beyond the end of the transmission line, the reflections are
seen as mere impedances created by standing waves, which are created
by reflections, assuming mismatch.

Al