Old July 24th 03, 02:24 AM
Brenda Ann

"Radioman390" wrote in message
A Reuters story says piracy is increasing off Africa and Indonesia. And

what do
ships use to call for help? Probably HF. But what freqs? When I worked in
Buenos Aires a few years back, I was told that freighters sailing near the
Brazil coast would lock down the ship, and weld some doors shut as they

passed
because pirates would try to board. If they couldn't get into the living

and
cargo areas, eventually they'd get off, not wanting to show up still on

board
in a major harbor.

The old marine band used to be from about 2-3 MHz. They stopped using it for
ship-shore comms back in the 70's when they went to VHF. There could still
be some section of this band used for international waters. More likely
most ships worth pirating use satellite phones. There's also marine phone
comms on 8-9 MHz USB