Old July 24th 03, 02:00 AM
Radioman390

Default Monitoring HF marine bands might be interesting

A Reuters story says piracy is increasing off Africa and Indonesia. And what do
ships use to call for help? Probably HF. But what freqs? When I worked in
Buenos Aires a few years back, I was told that freighters sailing near the
Brazil coast would lock down the ship, and weld some doors shut as they passed
because pirates would try to board. If they couldn't get into the living and
cargo areas, eventually they'd get off, not wanting to show up still on board
in a major harbor.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L23337057.htm
Old July 24th 03, 02:24 AM
Brenda Ann

"Radioman390" wrote in message
A Reuters story says piracy is increasing off Africa and Indonesia. And

what do
ships use to call for help? Probably HF. But what freqs? When I worked in
Buenos Aires a few years back, I was told that freighters sailing near the
Brazil coast would lock down the ship, and weld some doors shut as they

passed
because pirates would try to board. If they couldn't get into the living

and
cargo areas, eventually they'd get off, not wanting to show up still on

board
in a major harbor.

The old marine band used to be from about 2-3 MHz. They stopped using it for
ship-shore comms back in the 70's when they went to VHF. There could still
be some section of this band used for international waters. More likely
most ships worth pirating use satellite phones. There's also marine phone
comms on 8-9 MHz USB

Old July 24th 03, 06:01 AM
WShoots1

The old marine band used to be from about 2-3 MHz. They stopped using it for
ship-shore comms back in the 70's when they went to VHF.

In the 1980s, that MHF band became a requirement again, but on usb. In fact, an
auto alarm requirement was added. A two-tine signal is sent.

2182 kHz is the calling and emergency frequency. 2638 is the most common
general use frequency in that band.

Bill, K5BY

Monitoring UFOs Dee Throat Scanner 3 May 25th 04 10:35 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Monitoring Times Trunk Freqs for Florida are Wrong? N8KDV Scanner 0 August 20th 03 10:25 PM