Old August 7th 03, 05:21 AM
Judah Smith

Thanks...for the suggestion...I'm bidding on it as we speak. I guess
for price and availibility if trying for either a DX-100, a DX-200 or
a DX-394....but the 394 is probably a little out of my price range,
unless I sell a couple items on ebay to recoup the expense....I just
remember drooling over the dx-394 as a kid. It was a sexy looking
radio when the only exposure you had to SW was at the local radio
shack... But generally I tend to gravitate to analog radios cause of
the "FUN" factor. Someone one here once had a 394 they were willing
to part with for 90 bucks.....a the time I didn't have the
green...bummer. I thought it was a great deal...

Digital definitely has the advantage of giving you acurate frequency
readings.... but I love the challenge of an analog.

Example: I have two analogs now. But I can't say I love my FRG-7 ,
more than my DX-160....even though the FRG-7 is obviously 3-4 times
the performer....because I find them both "FUN" to mess with. As a
side note if your new to SW listening and are looking for a great
performing older radio...get an FRG-7. But if the price is too high
(bag a DX-160) there everywhere and definitely more fun that a cheap
(under $79) portable. (even with the frustrating, poorly implemented
bandspread crap)