Old August 5th 03, 12:56 AM
Judah Smith

Default WTB Realistic DX-100...

I have had to change my plan of attack, since no one seems to have a
Kenwood their willing to part with (or even find). So I have decided
to try and locate a DX-100 as my alternative. If anyone has one in
good condition that they would be willing to part with for a
fee.....let me know either here or via e-mail.
Old August 5th 03, 03:09 AM
The Dawn Soliloquy

I think that there is a Heathkit DX-100 and a Radio Shack DX-100, of which do
you speak?

I've owned the Radio Shack DX-100, I've always had a fondness for it. Not very
stable, but it was the first radio that interested me in shortwave. It was
new, and I soon took it back since it performed so poorly, something that I
attributed to the radio but later learned is the nature of shortwave itself.

I have the Yaesu FT-840, FRG-100, DX-398, Sony 7600GR, Grundig dynamo crank
(model number eludes me right now), Bell and Howell (sp?), and a Coby.

Regardless of the more exacting radios that I own, I keep drifting (so do
they) back to the cheaper radios for fun.

Regards.

In article ,
(Judah Smith) wrote:
I have had to change my plan of attack, since no one seems to have a
Kenwood their willing to part with (or even find). So I have decided
to try and locate a DX-100 as my alternative. If anyone has one in
good condition that they would be willing to part with for a
fee.....let me know either here or via e-mail.

Never say never.
Nothing is absolute.
Old August 5th 03, 06:08 PM
elg110254

Those Heathkit DX-100s are a vintage treasure for quite a few ham operators.
They love modding 'em to their own exacting specs, especially for amplitude
modulation.
Old August 6th 03, 04:44 AM
John H. Carver Jr.

Judah,
Right now on Ebay there is Kenwood R-300 at about seventy-five dollars
and a DX-100 at about fifteen dollars.

--
John H. Carver Jr.
Mid-North Indiana
om...

Old August 6th 03, 03:58 PM
John H. Carver Jr.

Starman,
I'm aware of that, but Judah wants to buy one of those radios and I
found a source for him. And sorry for the multiple posts. Don't know how
that happened.

--
John H. Carver Jr.
Mid-North Indiana
"starman" wrote in message
"John H. Carver Jr." wrote:

Judah,
Right now on Ebay there is Kenwood R-300 at about seventy-five

dollars
and a DX-100 at about fifteen dollars.

Any recent portable receiver with a digital display will out perform
either of those radios.

Old August 7th 03, 05:21 AM
Judah Smith

Thanks...for the suggestion...I'm bidding on it as we speak. I guess
for price and availibility if trying for either a DX-100, a DX-200 or
a DX-394....but the 394 is probably a little out of my price range,
unless I sell a couple items on ebay to recoup the expense....I just
remember drooling over the dx-394 as a kid. It was a sexy looking
radio when the only exposure you had to SW was at the local radio
shack... But generally I tend to gravitate to analog radios cause of
the "FUN" factor. Someone one here once had a 394 they were willing
to part with for 90 bucks.....a the time I didn't have the
green...bummer. I thought it was a great deal...

Digital definitely has the advantage of giving you acurate frequency
readings.... but I love the challenge of an analog.

Example: I have two analogs now. But I can't say I love my FRG-7 ,
more than my DX-160....even though the FRG-7 is obviously 3-4 times
the performer....because I find them both "FUN" to mess with. As a
side note if your new to SW listening and are looking for a great
performing older radio...get an FRG-7. But if the price is too high
(bag a DX-160) there everywhere and definitely more fun that a cheap
(under $79) portable. (even with the frustrating, poorly implemented
bandspread crap)