Old August 28th 03, 02:58 AM
John Garrison

I have the 800, and like it very well indeed. It is a super radio. It should
be noted that they are made in batches, as invertory requires, and as a
result some batches seem better made than others. The 900 that is upcoming,
to the best of my understanding is going to fit a somewhat different ethic
from the 800, I think it will be more easily portable, so you want to decide
if ease of carrying is important. The 800 is portable though, well, more
like luggable at 20 pounds; but is better regarded as a tabletop. Grundig
radios generally come with a frequency guide to help you get started, but
part of the fun of Shortwave listening is turning the dial until someting
intereting is heard. Still, you can buy exhaustive frequency guides, two I
recommed are Passport to World Band Radio, and World Radio and Television
Handbook, they are issued yearly, and I use them both. Radio Shack also has
a handy guide that is helpful and also easy to use.

"David" wrote in message
Hello all, I was interested in purchasing a shortwave radio and this
particular one seems to be quite popular. I know there is a Grundig

Satellit
900 coming out later this year but the prices available on ebay for the

800
are quite appealing. I have never owned a shortwave radio before and had a
few questions:

1. What is the opinion of this group regarding the Grundig Satellit 800?
2. Will I need to add an external antenna?
3. I live in the southern Indiana area so what can I expect to receive?
Europe? South America?
4. How do you know where the stations are and what frequencies they are

on?

Thanks,

David

---