Old August 27th 03, 04:34 AM
David

Default Grundig Satellit 800 Newbie Questions

Hello all, I was interested in purchasing a shortwave radio and this
particular one seems to be quite popular. I know there is a Grundig Satellit
900 coming out later this year but the prices available on ebay for the 800
are quite appealing. I have never owned a shortwave radio before and had a
few questions:

1. What is the opinion of this group regarding the Grundig Satellit 800?
2. Will I need to add an external antenna?
3. I live in the southern Indiana area so what can I expect to receive?
Europe? South America?
4. How do you know where the stations are and what frequencies they are on?

Thanks,

David

Old August 27th 03, 05:03 AM
Al Patrick

David wrote:

Hello all, I was interested in purchasing a shortwave radio and this
particular one seems to be quite popular. I know there is a Grundig Satellit
900 coming out later this year but the prices available on ebay for the 800
are quite appealing. I have never owned a shortwave radio before and had a
few questions:

1. What is the opinion of this group regarding the Grundig Satellit 800?

A lot of bang for the buck.

2. Will I need to add an external antenna?

No, but it will help.

3. I live in the southern Indiana area so what can I expect to receive?
Europe? South America?

All the above, and much more -- when conditions are right. We have good
and bad days for shortwave listening. It's not like AM & FM where you
listen on the same frequency all the time. Also, because it depends on
the atmosphere to bounce the signal back to earth, and the atmosphere
changes, reception will change from great to awful to not at all!

4. How do you know where the stations are and what frequencies they are on?

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mtairshows.html

Subscribing to Monitoring Times is one of the better ways.

Old August 27th 03, 09:18 PM
RHF

David,

1. You may wish to take a look at the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium
Radio eGroup at YAHOO!
The above eGroup at YAHOO! is a "Moderated" and "NON-Commercial"
website that is not Sponsored or Affiliated with the Brand Name
Licensees or Trade Mark Holders.

2. For 20+ "Independent Reviews" by Owners of the Grundig Satellit
800 Millennium Radio in the eHAM Equipment Reviews Section.
GoTo= http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1699

~ RHF
..
..
= = = "David"

Old August 28th 03, 02:58 AM
John Garrison

I have the 800, and like it very well indeed. It is a super radio. It should
be noted that they are made in batches, as invertory requires, and as a
result some batches seem better made than others. The 900 that is upcoming,
to the best of my understanding is going to fit a somewhat different ethic
from the 800, I think it will be more easily portable, so you want to decide
if ease of carrying is important. The 800 is portable though, well, more
like luggable at 20 pounds; but is better regarded as a tabletop. Grundig
radios generally come with a frequency guide to help you get started, but
part of the fun of Shortwave listening is turning the dial until someting
intereting is heard. Still, you can buy exhaustive frequency guides, two I
recommed are Passport to World Band Radio, and World Radio and Television
Handbook, they are issued yearly, and I use them both. Radio Shack also has
a handy guide that is helpful and also easy to use.

"David" wrote in message
Hello all, I was interested in purchasing a shortwave radio and this
particular one seems to be quite popular. I know there is a Grundig

Satellit
900 coming out later this year but the prices available on ebay for the

800
are quite appealing. I have never owned a shortwave radio before and had a
few questions:

1. What is the opinion of this group regarding the Grundig Satellit 800?
2. Will I need to add an external antenna?
3. I live in the southern Indiana area so what can I expect to receive?
Europe? South America?
4. How do you know where the stations are and what frequencies they are

on?

Thanks,

David

---

Old August 29th 03, 08:42 PM
AC Smith

"David" wrote in message m...
Hello all, I was interested in purchasing a shortwave radio and this
particular one seems to be quite popular. I know there is a Grundig Satellit
900 coming out later this year but the prices available on ebay for the 800
are quite appealing. I have never owned a shortwave radio before and had a
few questions:

1. What is the opinion of this group regarding the Grundig Satellit 800?
2. Will I need to add an external antenna?
3. I live in the southern Indiana area so what can I expect to receive?
Europe? South America?
4. How do you know where the stations are and what frequencies they are on?

Thanks,

David

I have had my radio since the beginning of 2002 and have found it to
be an excellent radio.

I will just add that what this thing lacks in portability, it more
than makes up for in ergonomics! Nice big dial, huge readout backlit
that can be read from across the room, and other buttons that are
actually bigger than your fingers.

Yes, it can be moved, but it is big. Start looking right now for
where you would place this monster. No worries about the sound, it
will fill a room easily.

Good luck and like was mentioned above, come join our Satellit 800
group and read the posts. NO holds barred about the radio, the good,
the bad, the ugly. The lovers, the haters and those who don't speak
up!

Good luck,

Adam