Old August 28th 03, 06:18 AM
starman

CW wrote:

The same way I got 50 Enya model engines, which I sold gray market. I went
to Japan and bought them. Products are often sold at different prices in
different countries. Add to that a favorable exchange rate and you have a
money making opportunity. You buy from an authorized dealer in high enough
quantity that he gives you a decent discount over individual prices. With a
favorable exchange rate, you can often get this quite cheaply. You bring
them to another country were you can sell them for a good profit. Perfectly
legal but, as you actually bought them retail, you are the only one eligible
for the manufacturers warranty which means your customers are not. That's
where the term gray market came from, shady but legal.

That's exactly what I was referring too. Someone has to buy the product
overseas and bring it into the country one way or another. Some foreign
buyers don't pay any duty, so they make even more profit than going
through normal channels.
BTW- Didn't US customs want to know why you were importing fifty model
airplane engines into the US? Did they ask if you intended to sell them?