Old August 24th 03, 08:10 AM
starman

Default Best Price For ATS-909?

DeWayne wrote:

Where's the best price for the Sangean ATS-909 new?
DeWayne

About $239 but I don't remember where.

Old August 24th 03, 04:19 PM
Jackie

DeWayne wrote:

Where's the best price for the Sangean ATS-909 new?

Communications Electronics Inc. has the cheapest price I've seen at $209.95:

http://www.usascan.com/files/ats909.html

Jackie

Old August 25th 03, 06:16 AM
starman

Jackie wrote:

DeWayne wrote:

Where's the best price for the Sangean ATS-909 new?

Communications Electronics Inc. has the cheapest price I've seen at $209.95:

http://www.usascan.com/files/ats909.html

Jackie

That's a good deal if it's not a gray market import. Prospective buyers
should be sure the warranty is valid in the USA.

Old August 27th 03, 07:08 AM
starman

MrG1stD wrote:

I just ordered one from them. What do you mean by gray import model? When mine
arrives what should I look for?

TIA

A 'gray market' product is something which has not been
exported/imported from one country to another through the proper
channels. This is why the price can be much lower, because they didn't
have to pay any duty taxes; etc. It can also mean the warranty will not
be honored by the manufacturer because the serial number on the product
indicates it should not have been available for sale in the buyers home
country. I suggest you contact Sangean when you get the '909' and
confirm that it's serial number is legitimate for sale in the US.

Old August 27th 03, 08:31 PM
CW

No, what you are describing is contraband. That is illegal and you are not
likely to find those for sale through any shop that advertises. More likely
from the back of a truck. Gray market merchandise is perfectly legal. It is
being sold by an unauthorized (by the maker) dealer. They pay the same
import taxes as anyone else. Since they are not an authorized dealer, they
are not bound by the companies pricing guidelines. In addition, since the
parent company will not honor the warranty, they pretty well have to sell it
at a lower price or people wouldn't buy them.

Old August 28th 03, 01:53 AM
starman

CW wrote:

No, what you are describing is contraband. That is illegal and you are not
likely to find those for sale through any shop that advertises. More likely
from the back of a truck. Gray market merchandise is perfectly legal. It is
being sold by an unauthorized (by the maker) dealer. They pay the same
import taxes as anyone else. Since they are not an authorized dealer, they
are not bound by the companies pricing guidelines. In addition, since the
parent company will not honor the warranty, they pretty well have to sell it
at a lower price or people wouldn't buy them.

How would an unauthorized dealer acquire a lot of radios for example,
unless there was something fishy about how he got them? He wouldn't be
able to buy them from the manufacturer's distributor if he's not an
authorized dealer. More likely he gets them from someone who has
illegally brought them into the country by avoiding customs.

Old August 28th 03, 06:18 AM
starman

CW wrote:

The same way I got 50 Enya model engines, which I sold gray market. I went
to Japan and bought them. Products are often sold at different prices in
different countries. Add to that a favorable exchange rate and you have a
money making opportunity. You buy from an authorized dealer in high enough
quantity that he gives you a decent discount over individual prices. With a
favorable exchange rate, you can often get this quite cheaply. You bring
them to another country were you can sell them for a good profit. Perfectly
legal but, as you actually bought them retail, you are the only one eligible
for the manufacturers warranty which means your customers are not. That's
where the term gray market came from, shady but legal.

That's exactly what I was referring too. Someone has to buy the product
overseas and bring it into the country one way or another. Some foreign
buyers don't pay any duty, so they make even more profit than going
through normal channels.
BTW- Didn't US customs want to know why you were importing fifty model
airplane engines into the US? Did they ask if you intended to sell them?