Old September 2nd 03, 02:26 AM
Dave N

I think that starman may be on the right track here. The light switch
is mounted on a post totally separate from the main board, and I
couldn't get the MW band to come "on" of go "off" by bumping or shaking
the radio. I took the main board completely out of the radio today and
gave it a cursory look-over, but couldn't find anything amiss. I'll
take Peter's advice and give it a thorough going over sometime soon,
just to make sure it's not a solder joint gone bad.

I've put together several radio kits, and have taken electronics "101"
at a local community college, but unfortunately I don't have enough
knowledge to be able to determine which is the MW section of this radio.
There is a shop in the town where I work (Champaign, IL) called "Radio
Doctor", so I'll probably give them a call to see what they would charge
to look at it (if they even work on this sort of radio). I gave $15 for
it at the garage sale, and it's really a nice little rig, but I don't
want to put a bunch of money into it.

Dave.

Turning on the dial light could create a voltage transient in the
receiver's power supply that may be temporarily repairing a defective
component such as a transistor. See if you can determine which active
components (transistors and IC's) are used only for the MW section.