Old September 17th 03, 10:01 PM
tommyknocker

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

In article ,
Daniel Rosenzweig wrote:
To follow up:

The complete mailing address for Mr. Yosef Barel,
The IBA Director General is,

(These addresses assume that you're writing from Israel... If you'd
ever write to these addresses from the US, I'd advise not writing the
zip code, as I've seen mail first mailed to California -- even if
ISRAEL is written in big letters on the envelope!)

This will avoid the zip code problem:

BTW, the local post office cancelation stamp spells it Yerushalayim.

Mr. Yosef Barel
IBA House
161 Jaffa Road
Jerusalem 94342

Write that as:

94342 Jeursalem
Israel

Or better yet:

Yosef Bar-El
Binyan IBA
Rechov Yaffa 161
94342 Yerushalayim
ISRAEL

Which is the transliteration of the Hebrew address in latin letters.
Many post office workers here read the Roman alphabet, but don't understand
English.

BTW, Bar-El means "son of G-d", which was probably the meaning of their
family name they came to Israel with, such as Godson, or Gottsohn, etc.

The Director of radio is:

Yoni Ben Menachem

Yoni Ben-Menachem
IBA
Tora Mizion 15
94401 Yerushalayim
Israel

Geoff.

Transliteration of other alphabets into the Roman (English) alphabet is
always tricky. I know that there's a vowel in Arabic that can be either
"i" or "e" depending on the translation. Popular usage is determined by
whichever one catches on. Right after 9-11, some US media spelled the
perpetrators' name al-Qaida, but the media finally settled for Qaeda.
I've seen several spellings of "Jaffa" including "Yafo" and your
"Yaffa". As for "Jerusalem", that's the common English term. I believe
that the Jews have always called it "Yerushalayim". (BTW, -im is a
plural ending in Hebrew-could it mean "place of the Jews"?) Other
instances of Hebrew translation gone awry is "Jesus" from "Yehoshuah"
and the rendering of G-d's Name as Jehovah (as in Jehovah's Witnesses).