Old September 30th 03, 03:49 AM
Gray Shockley

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:17:42 -0500, WShoots1 wrote
(in message ):

I had to scrub the alkaline D cell leakage from my DX-392 several months ago.

I guess I should leave out the D cells. I don't use it portable but, instead,
use a regulated power supply I built for it.

I know when the AA's go bad, because they are there to retain the memory.

I have about 50 things in my house that use batteries and half of them use
alkalines. I need to monitor them better. It's certainly less trouble than
scrubbing. Too, alkaline leakage will destroy the cad plating on contacts.

Bill, K5BY

The way I'm getting 'round this problem is to use an itsy-bitsy database.

On my Mac, ir's called "Nag" and one can set it for any kind of reminder and
on most kinds of schedules and repeating as one wants and it can be set to
the second (although that's too much even for me grin.

I schedule a "check" at nine months after installation and replace at twelve
months for alkaline. And - also - program CO2 and smoke detectors that have
Lithium batts to be checked every six months fo the next ten years.

I also note whether the batt is alkaline, Ni-Cad, metal or lithium. Ni-Cad
and metal get replaced every three months.

[The main place - mebbe the only place - I use alkalines is 9-volt batts as
the rechargeable ones just ain't worth the trouble so I do keep 9-v's on hand
(and watch the expiration date).]

Gray Shockley
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399