Old September 28th 03, 10:03 AM
Mark Kaufer

Default Cleaning up Sangean ATS 818 (AKA Realistic DX-390)

I have a Sangean ATS 818 (AKA Realistic DX-390) shortwave radio that I
love and have brought all over the world with me. Recently, I did a
stupid thing and left some really old batteries in it and they leaked
inside of it. I removed them and it's been working fine, but within the
last two weeks, whenever I turn it on, it plays static on every channel.

Maybe once every week or so it'll actually turn on properly, but I am
thinking that this poor radio's seen it's better day or that I might be
able to open it up and hopefully clean it up and restore it to a normal
state. Does anyone have any suggestions on a recommended way to clean
the remaining residue of the battery leak? Is it even worth trying to
clean or is it too late for this radio?

Cheers,

Mark
Old September 28th 03, 02:50 PM
Warpcore

My first question would be whether the battery contents got onto the
circuitry inside or was confined to the battery compartment ?

I would carefully clean up any residue inside the radio. Assuming the damage
was only in the battery comopartment, carefully clean off the battery
contacts so you get a good connection. If the connection is not good metal
to good metal you are not getting sufficient power.

Since you say the radio still works, I assume that the battery compartment
was the only place corroded. You could clean off the contacts with a pocket
knife or some fine sandpaper. I would avoid using liquids in there, but if
you do, just use a qtip dipped in a little bicarbonate of soda or some
rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol, then dry the contacts very well. HTH mm

Old September 28th 03, 06:10 PM
Gray Shockley

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 4:03:00 -0500, Mark Kaufer wrote
(in message 8txdb.3861$hp5.1197@fed1read04):

I have a Sangean ATS 818 (AKA Realistic DX-390) shortwave radio that I
love and have brought all over the world with me. Recently, I did a
stupid thing and left some really old batteries in it and they leaked
inside of it. I removed them and it's been working fine, but within the
last two weeks, whenever I turn it on, it plays static on every channel.

Maybe once every week or so it'll actually turn on properly, but I am
thinking that this poor radio's seen it's better day or that I might be
able to open it up and hopefully clean it up and restore it to a normal
state. Does anyone have any suggestions on a recommended way to clean
the remaining residue of the battery leak? Is it even worth trying to
clean or is it too late for this radio?

Cheers,

Mark

Just sort of a general suggestion: People use "emery boards" to "sand down"
their fingernails (I don't know the correct term grin).

They're avail at drug stores and WalMarts and such.

Nifty little sandpaper "thingies". Very handy to have in one's toolbox or
junk drawer.

Gray Shockley
-----------------------
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
CCradio w/RS Loop
Torus Tuner (3-13 MHz)
Select-A-Tenna
-----------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

Old September 29th 03, 01:47 AM
Jim

a tooth brush and baking soda is in order for the battery chemicals.
just scrub the battery compartment with baking soda and water to
neutralize the chemicals. i think that fumes from the leaking batteries
get into the electronics and leave residue even with no direct contact.
a slight coating of conductive residue is left on circuits that causes
all manner of havoc at the micro voltages present in modern
electronics.(even cigarette smoke is bad because of this!) that would
account for the erratic way its working. maybe a quick spray out with
zero residue cleaner or similar electronic cleaner might help the actual
circuit board. leave it unpowered for several days to make sure that its
completely dry.

Old September 29th 03, 05:01 AM
Mark Kaufer

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:50:30 GMT, Warpcore wrote to rec.radio.shortwave:
My first question would be whether the battery contents got onto the
circuitry inside or was confined to the battery compartment ?

I would carefully clean up any residue inside the radio. Assuming the damage
was only in the battery comopartment, carefully clean off the battery
contacts so you get a good connection. If the connection is not good metal
to good metal you are not getting sufficient power.

Since you say the radio still works, I assume that the battery compartment
was the only place corroded. You could clean off the contacts with a pocket
knife or some fine sandpaper. I would avoid using liquids in there, but if
you do, just use a qtip dipped in a little bicarbonate of soda or some
rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol, then dry the contacts very well. HTH mm

Thanks for the reply,

The Q-Tip trick did it! I took it all apart today and got it cleaned up
pretty good. Wow, I didn't realise how much acid had actually leaked in
there. The radio's working just fine now, but thanks to all who
replied.

Cheers,

Mark

Old September 29th 03, 02:17 PM
Beloved Leader

Mark Kaufer wrote in message news:8txdb.3861$hp5.1197@fed1read04...
I ... left some really old batteries in it and they leaked
inside of it.

What kind of cells? If they were zinc-chloride, aka "heavy duty"
cells, the electrolyte can eat up the etched circuits on printed
circuit boards. If they were alkaline cells, the electrolyte really
does no damage at all. The electrolyte in zinc-chloride cells is
acidic. So is the electrolyte that is used in lead-acid batteries,
which is sulphuric acid. The electrolyte used in alkaline cells is
alkaline. It feels slippery, like a weak lye solution.

I repaired my sister-in-law's analog Sharp SW radio, which had damaged
by leakage from zinc-chloride cells. I had to wire in some jumber
cables to replace the corroded traces. On the other hand, I've seen
lots of radios with leaking alkaline cells. I wiped off the
electrolyte with a cloth moistened with soap and water or a toothbrush
to reach the parts that could use some scrubbing, and the radios were
good to go. Sometimes I use a little baking soda too, but that's just
to give the radio that extra fresh smell.
Old September 30th 03, 03:17 AM
WShoots1

I had to scrub the alkaline D cell leakage from my DX-392 several months ago.

I guess I should leave out the D cells. I don't use it portable but, instead,
use a regulated power supply I built for it.

I know when the AA's go bad, because they are there to retain the memory.

I have about 50 things in my house that use batteries and half of them use
alkalines. I need to monitor them better. It's certainly less trouble than
scrubbing. Too, alkaline leakage will destroy the cad plating on contacts.

Bill, K5BY
Old September 30th 03, 03:49 AM
Gray Shockley

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:17:42 -0500, WShoots1 wrote
(in message ):

I had to scrub the alkaline D cell leakage from my DX-392 several months ago.

I guess I should leave out the D cells. I don't use it portable but, instead,
use a regulated power supply I built for it.

I know when the AA's go bad, because they are there to retain the memory.

I have about 50 things in my house that use batteries and half of them use
alkalines. I need to monitor them better. It's certainly less trouble than
scrubbing. Too, alkaline leakage will destroy the cad plating on contacts.

Bill, K5BY

The way I'm getting 'round this problem is to use an itsy-bitsy database.

On my Mac, ir's called "Nag" and one can set it for any kind of reminder and
on most kinds of schedules and repeating as one wants and it can be set to
the second (although that's too much even for me grin.

I schedule a "check" at nine months after installation and replace at twelve
months for alkaline. And - also - program CO2 and smoke detectors that have
Lithium batts to be checked every six months fo the next ten years.

I also note whether the batt is alkaline, Ni-Cad, metal or lithium. Ni-Cad
and metal get replaced every three months.

[The main place - mebbe the only place - I use alkalines is 9-volt batts as
the rechargeable ones just ain't worth the trouble so I do keep 9-v's on hand
(and watch the expiration date).]

Gray Shockley
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399