Old October 18th 03, 10:58 PM
Stinger

It's a bit more expensive than the GESR3 (G.E. SuperRadio III), but the
CCRadio Plus (CCR+) from C. Crane company is the one to have if you can
afford it. The backlit digital display effectively evens out the MW
spectrum, so instead of having about 2/3 of the frequencies cover half the
inaccurate analog dial, it's basically flat. My CCR+ is a bit more
sensitive than my GESR3. I understand some of the earlier GE SuperRadios
were more sensitive than the latest versions.

Another thing digital tuning does for you (which IMHO is essential for MW
DX'ing) is let you know you're on the right frequency. I can't begin to
tell you how many times I've been on the right frequency and didn't hear a
station, then turned the radio (use a turntable) and got a fine signal.
Station memories are good to have as well.

The GESR3 does have a better speaker, though. But the CCR+ doesn't sound
bad -- just not as "rich" over the speaker. This, too, can be overcome by
using some reasonably-priced powered computer speakers if you're not going
to use headphones. The FM is so good on the CCR+ that it's a shame not to
add them to your setup.

-- Stinger

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

Robert Sillett wrote:

I have both a DX-398 and a GE Super Radio, so I can answer two-thirds of
your query.

Assuming you're not using an external loop antenna, the GE Super Radio

wins.
And if you are using an external loop, the GE Super Radio still beats

the
DX-398.

Now the DX-398 isn't bad, it's just that the GE Super Radio is better

for
AM/MW DX.

Bob, N3OEA

The only one of the two I've owned is the Superadio III, but for
dedicated AM reception, with a good antenna, it beats anything else I've
used hands down. The Icom R-75 is as good, but noiser in MW than the
GE, in my experience.

Tony

"Neil Bell" wrote in message
Any opinions about which of these three padios would be best for AM DX
use??

DX-398
Super Radio III
Grundig S-350

Antenna suggestions????

Any help appreciated.
Neil Bell

For e-mail replies remove the "notreally."

News==----

Newsgroups

=---