Old October 18th 03, 03:33 PM
Neil Bell

Default AM DX - DX-398 or Superadio III ??

Any opinions about which of these three padios would be best for AM DX
use??

DX-398
Super Radio III
Grundig S-350

Antenna suggestions????

Any help appreciated.
Neil Bell

For e-mail replies remove the "notreally."

|----------------------------------------------------------|

|----------------------------------------------------------|
Old October 18th 03, 03:49 PM
KeyBoard In The Wilderness

Have you seen the user reviews at eHam.net URL:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/8

GE Super Radio at URL:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r.../gesr_faq.html

Antenna Ideas at URL:
http://ac6v.com/swl.htm#ANT

--
73 From -- The KeyBoard In The Wilderness
---------------------------------------

Old October 18th 03, 06:05 PM
Diverd4777

Hey keyboard

These are very good Antenna

and Loop antenna Links;

Thanks!

Dan

In article dqckb.70540$vj2.17352@fed1read06, "KeyBoard In The Wilderness"
writes:

Antenna Ideas at URL:
http://ac6v.com/swl.htm#ANT

--
73 From -- The KeyBoard In The Wilderness

http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_antenna/
Old October 18th 03, 09:04 PM
Robert Sillett

I have both a DX-398 and a GE Super Radio, so I can answer two-thirds of
your query.

Assuming you're not using an external loop antenna, the GE Super Radio wins.
And if you are using an external loop, the GE Super Radio still beats the
DX-398.

Now the DX-398 isn't bad, it's just that the GE Super Radio is better for
AM/MW DX.

Bob, N3OEA

Old October 18th 03, 10:19 PM
Tony Meloche

Robert Sillett wrote:

I have both a DX-398 and a GE Super Radio, so I can answer two-thirds of
your query.

Assuming you're not using an external loop antenna, the GE Super Radio wins.
And if you are using an external loop, the GE Super Radio still beats the
DX-398.

Now the DX-398 isn't bad, it's just that the GE Super Radio is better for
AM/MW DX.

Bob, N3OEA

The only one of the two I've owned is the Superadio III, but for
dedicated AM reception, with a good antenna, it beats anything else I've
used hands down. The Icom R-75 is as good, but noiser in MW than the
GE, in my experience.

Tony

Old October 18th 03, 10:58 PM
Stinger

It's a bit more expensive than the GESR3 (G.E. SuperRadio III), but the
CCRadio Plus (CCR+) from C. Crane company is the one to have if you can
afford it. The backlit digital display effectively evens out the MW
spectrum, so instead of having about 2/3 of the frequencies cover half the
inaccurate analog dial, it's basically flat. My CCR+ is a bit more
sensitive than my GESR3. I understand some of the earlier GE SuperRadios
were more sensitive than the latest versions.

Another thing digital tuning does for you (which IMHO is essential for MW
DX'ing) is let you know you're on the right frequency. I can't begin to
tell you how many times I've been on the right frequency and didn't hear a
station, then turned the radio (use a turntable) and got a fine signal.
Station memories are good to have as well.

The GESR3 does have a better speaker, though. But the CCR+ doesn't sound
bad -- just not as "rich" over the speaker. This, too, can be overcome by
using some reasonably-priced powered computer speakers if you're not going
to use headphones. The FM is so good on the CCR+ that it's a shame not to
add them to your setup.

-- Stinger

"Neil Bell" wrote in message
Any opinions about which of these three padios would be best for AM DX
use??

DX-398
Super Radio III
Grundig S-350

Antenna suggestions????

Any help appreciated.
Neil Bell

For e-mail replies remove the "notreally."

|----------------------------------------------------------|

|----------------------------------------------------------|

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old October 19th 03, 06:59 AM
Gray Shockley

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:58:57 -0500, Stinger wrote
(in message ):

It's a bit more expensive

It's a /lot/ more expensive grin.

than the GESR3 (G.E. SuperRadio III), but the
CCRadio Plus (CCR+) from C. Crane company is the one to have if you can
afford it.

Yup.

The backlit digital display effectively evens out the MW
spectrum, so instead of having about 2/3 of the frequencies cover half the
inaccurate analog dial, it's basically flat. My CCR+ is a bit more
sensitive than my GESR3. I understand some of the earlier GE SuperRadios
were more sensitive than the latest versions.

What I have come up with in comparison of the GESR and the CCradio is that if
ya are trying to get a single, distant station, the GESR is exactly what cha
need and the CCR+ would be overkill.

Another thing digital tuning does for you (which IMHO is essential for MW
DX'ing) is let you know you're on the right frequency. I can't begin to
tell you how many times I've been on the right frequency and didn't hear a
station, then turned the radio (use a turntable) and got a fine signal.
Station memories are good to have as well.

Agreed on every point.

The GESR3 does have a better speaker, though. But the CCR+ doesn't sound
bad -- just not as "rich" over the speaker. This, too, can be overcome by
using some reasonably-priced powered computer speakers if you're not going
to use headphones. The FM is so good on the CCR+ that it's a shame not to
add them to your setup.

You betcha.

-- Stinger

A third reason for appreciating the CCradio - for me - is where I live: at
the bottom of the Mississippi Delta. We have very violent storms and we have
tornadoes (Vicksburg was, basically, destroyed by one when I was about six
years old).

I have two other weatherradios but I particularly like the CCradio's little
LED that blinks when a watch or a warning has been broadcast (there are
really loud options for this but I use this as a double-check).

There's also tv audio for channels 2-13 but I don't watch them and I have no
interest in listening to them.

[Oh, btw - it can run off four "D" cells but if ya do that, then turn off the
weather feature unless you really need it cuz it'll take that radio down and
out in a couple of days (apparently in common with all battery-powered
weather radios.]

I originally bought the CCradio when it came out but sent it back as it was
lacking in too many features. The CCradio Plus sure isn't!

One of my favorite features is the timer. I like to tune into our local (50
miles away) NPR station at 3:55 every afternoon and will be working on
something and not notice the time. No problem now: it turns on at 3:55 and
stays on for an hour. When it goes off, I just reach over and turn it back
on.

I also like the backlit clock when it's off (on ac - it can be turned off
when on batteries (after 10 seconds if I remember correctly)).

I also like the silver color as opposed to the monotonous black grin.

Last weekend I was listening to Art Bell from a station about 90 miles away.
Or so I thought. Turned out it was about 700 miles away. It sounded local.

So - following on Bill Beam's comment that the Justice AM antenna was going
for half-price (orphaned equipment) - I ordered one and - if I got there on
time - will add that for more enjoyment.

Gray Shockley
-----------------------
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
Torus Tuner (3-13 MHz)
CCradio+ w/RS Loop &
Select-A-Tenna
-----------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

Old October 20th 03, 06:01 AM
Stinger

Excellent points on the WX band, Gray.

Like you, I only use the flashing LED for alert now. It seems the weather
service thinks a severe thunderstorm 100 miles away is cause enough to
generate an alarm. The first one I got on "alarm" was a real 2 AM
eye-opener.

-- Stinger

.com...

Old October 20th 03, 04:41 PM
Gray Shockley

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 0:01:32 -0500, Stinger wrote
(in message ):

Excellent points on the WX band, Gray.

Like you, I only use the flashing LED for alert now. It seems the weather
service thinks a severe thunderstorm 100 miles away is cause enough to
generate an alarm. The first one I got on "alarm" was a real 2 AM
eye-opener.

-- Stinger

Yep; the weatherradio I have in the bedroom is one of the ones which has
"SAME" - the feature that only sets off the alarm when the alert is for the
county in which I live. (It's the RadioShack model which has two reception
channels - $40??)

Gray

FS: GE Superadio AM/FM DX Bill Crocker Scanner 2 January 7th 05 01:05 AM
question re GE Superadio III static ronaug Dx 2 December 10th 04 03:55 PM
GE Superadio lll VS DX-398 RedOctober90 Shortwave 3 October 2nd 03 11:21 PM
Superadio II question elfa Shortwave 14 September 13th 03 09:06 PM
? RUMOR ? GE Superadio III ? Discontinued ? RHF Shortwave 7 July 18th 03 03:15 AM