Old November 15th 03, 05:08 AM
Gray Shockley

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:19:37 -0600, Stinger wrote
(in message ):

The reason I prefer a true Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) instead of a
surge protector is that I've seen my UPS switch over to metered battery
power up to two seconds before I see a flash of lightning (or hear close
thunder).

By strict definitions, that's not an UPS but a SPS (Standby Power Supply)
because it - as you say - "switches over".

In an UPS, (Uninterruptable Power Supply) all power is through the battery
all the time; there's no lag because there can't be one grin.

I've got an old APC 600-watter that's a "legit" UPS but it's the old style
that has to be sent back for a new battery sigh. So we're using a couple of
SPS's until my ship (or a stern-wheeler - whatever) comes in.

I would think that this "switching over," effectively cutting
out the overloaded circuit, is a much better method of protection than
trying to dampen a big lightning (or other) surge as the surge protectors
do.

Gray Shockley
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399