Old November 14th 03, 08:33 AM
matt weber

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:26:06 -0800, tommyknocker
wrote:

I finally got off my fat ass and decided to locate the source of the
data-sounding signal blocking my HF reception. A quick tour of the
premises with my DX398 revealed that the noise was only present in the
computer room/ham shack (yeah, my luck). But unplugging the computer and
peripherals didn't help. So I turned off the VERY EXPENSIVE surge
protector that the computer plugs in to, and the noise went away. Turn
the surge protector back on, and the noise starts up again. I don't want
to shell out the $$$ for a new surge protector, so I'll just have to
turn it off when I listen/DX. But why wasn't it doing it prior to about
two months ago? Maybe I should buy another one...

Part of the protection in such a device is an 'avalanche' diode, and
those things are incredibly noisy if they have avalanched over. In
normal operation, that shouldn't be happening, so part of your very
expensive surge protector was probably broken anyway....
Old November 14th 03, 12:10 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , tommyknocker
writes
I finally got off my fat ass and decided to locate the source of the
data-sounding signal blocking my HF reception. A quick tour of the
premises with my DX398 revealed that the noise was only present in the
computer room/ham shack (yeah, my luck). But unplugging the computer and
peripherals didn't help. So I turned off the VERY EXPENSIVE surge
protector that the computer plugs in to, and the noise went away. Turn
the surge protector back on, and the noise starts up again. I don't want
to shell out the $$$ for a new surge protector, so I'll just have to
turn it off when I listen/DX. But why wasn't it doing it prior to about
two months ago? Maybe I should buy another one...

Have you emptied its 'Surge Box' lately?

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old November 14th 03, 08:20 PM
tommyknocker

Gray Shockley wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:26:06 -0600, tommyknocker wrote
(in message ):

I finally got off my fat ass and decided to locate the source of the
data-sounding signal blocking my HF reception. A quick tour of the
premises with my DX398 revealed that the noise was only present in the
computer room/ham shack (yeah, my luck). But unplugging the computer and
peripherals didn't help. So I turned off the VERY EXPENSIVE surge
protector that the computer plugs in to, and the noise went away. Turn
the surge protector back on, and the noise starts up again.

Uh, you did try that with nothing plugged into the surge protector?

Yep.

I don't want
to shell out the $$$ for a new surge protector, so I'll just have to
turn it off when I listen/DX. But why wasn't it doing it prior to about
two months ago?

It may have taken a hit fairly recently.

I had a fuse in the main box blow about two months ago when I tried to
run my new electric skillet at the same time as my a/c. That's probably
what did it.

Maybe I should buy another one...

It's lots easier to replace surge suppressors than computers.

I went and bought myself a new surge protector this morning. It's a
Tripp Lite (recommended by somebody else on the group) and it's one step
down from the most expensive model. It was $20 and the next one up was
$40. I paid $35 or so for the Belkin (the one that malfunctioned) so I
think I got a good deal.

Old November 14th 03, 08:21 PM
tommyknocker

Gray Shockley wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:35:20 -0600, tommyknocker wrote
(in message ):

Stinger wrote:

Our local Sam's Club has APC 1100's for $89.00. They're capable of
protecting a LOT of equipment, but overkill for just one radio.

I'm not a member. This particular surge protector is hooked to all my
computer equipment plus a clock, a shredder and a phone.

A shredder?

I can't cite anyone else but I sure wouldn't hook something with a motor up
to the same serge suppresser to which I have computer and phone equipment.

Why?

Old November 14th 03, 08:55 PM
Mark S. Holden

Stinger wrote:

Our local Sam's Club has APC 1100's for $89.00. They're capable of
protecting a LOT of equipment, but overkill for just one radio.

I'm not a member. This particular surge protector is hooked to all my
computer equipment plus a clock, a shredder and a phone.

A shredder?

I can't cite anyone else but I sure wouldn't hook something with a motor up
to the same serge suppresser to which I have computer and phone equipment.

Why?

Motors are inductive loads, and can create power spikes when they're turned on or off.

Ever see lights dim for a second when a Vacuum cleaner was turned on? That's why.

Old November 15th 03, 12:29 AM
elfa

In article , tommyknocker says...

Stinger wrote:

Our local Sam's Club has APC 1100's for $89.00. They're capable of
protecting a LOT of equipment, but overkill for just one radio.

I'm not a member. This particular surge protector is hooked to all my
computer equipment plus a clock, a shredder and a phone.

A shredder?

I can't cite anyone else but I sure wouldn't hook something with a motor up
to the same serge suppresser to which I have computer and phone equipment.

Why?

Motors can take extra current to start up....that can feed into anything else
plugged into the same circuit.

I used to work as a computer network consultant. A client kept blowing out one
of their hubs. I traced it to a electric pencil sharpener plugged into the same
wall plug as the hub. Everytime someone sharpened their pencil, a surge of
current was also placed on the hubs circuit. They had blown out 3 hubs in a
month. We just moved the sharpener to another location and the prob stopped.

elfa

Old November 15th 03, 01:19 AM
Stinger

The reason I prefer a true Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) instead of a
surge protector is that I've seen my UPS switch over to metered battery
power up to two seconds before I see a flash of lightning (or hear close
thunder). I would think that this "switching over," effectively cutting
out the overloaded circuit, is a much better method of protection than
trying to dampen a big lightning (or other) surge as the surge protectors
do.

-- Stinger

Old November 15th 03, 05:08 AM
Gray Shockley

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:19:37 -0600, Stinger wrote
(in message ):

The reason I prefer a true Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) instead of a
surge protector is that I've seen my UPS switch over to metered battery
power up to two seconds before I see a flash of lightning (or hear close
thunder).

By strict definitions, that's not an UPS but a SPS (Standby Power Supply)
because it - as you say - "switches over".

In an UPS, (Uninterruptable Power Supply) all power is through the battery
all the time; there's no lag because there can't be one grin.

I've got an old APC 600-watter that's a "legit" UPS but it's the old style
that has to be sent back for a new battery sigh. So we're using a couple of
SPS's until my ship (or a stern-wheeler - whatever) comes in.

I would think that this "switching over," effectively cutting
out the overloaded circuit, is a much better method of protection than
trying to dampen a big lightning (or other) surge as the surge protectors
do.

Gray Shockley
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399