Old December 1st 03, 12:15 AM
Richard Cranium

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message ...
"GrtPmpkin32" wrote in message
I've inherited a DSS dish antenna and two receivers (Sony, second

generation
DSS type) from a well-meaning friend who knows I like to play with

'radios'
(though what that means to her I don't know, since she thinks I can do
something with these items)... we dropped our satellite subscription

last year
when digital cable became available, cheaper and actually better

service than
DSS. But the question is, WHAT can be done, if anything, with this

system?
Without subscribing to satellite service, which I won't be doing

anyway, can I
get some reception of audio, video or even data on this stuff? IS

there
anything fun, mildly interesting, or curious to do with these things

as they
are or with minor alteration BEFORE I decide to gut everything for

parts?
Are there any useable parts inside the receivers or dish LNB beyond

connectors
and the occassional capacitor or chip that I can use elsewhere?
I've attempted searches with inputs like "old dss system hacks", or

"stuff to
do with old satellite system", but given the vague nature of the

search
request, nothing has surfaced so far. Where should I look?
Any help, etc....
Linus

Try searching with the names of defunct services such as Primestar:

http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/P...Primestar.html

It seems the dishes work fine for wireless networking.

Frank Dresser

And if they aren't too light, the receivers can be decent doorstops!