Old November 30th 03, 06:55 PM
GrtPmpkin32

Default Uses for 'dead' DSS system???

I've inherited a DSS dish antenna and two receivers (Sony, second generation
DSS type) from a well-meaning friend who knows I like to play with 'radios'
(though what that means to her I don't know, since she thinks I can do
something with these items)... we dropped our satellite subscription last year
when digital cable became available, cheaper and actually better service than
DSS. But the question is, WHAT can be done, if anything, with this system?
Without subscribing to satellite service, which I won't be doing anyway, can I
get some reception of audio, video or even data on this stuff? IS there
anything fun, mildly interesting, or curious to do with these things as they
are or with minor alteration BEFORE I decide to gut everything for parts?
Are there any useable parts inside the receivers or dish LNB beyond connectors
and the occassional capacitor or chip that I can use elsewhere?
I've attempted searches with inputs like "old dss system hacks", or "stuff to
do with old satellite system", but given the vague nature of the search
request, nothing has surfaced so far. Where should I look?
Any help, etc....
Linus
Old November 30th 03, 07:33 PM
Frank Dresser

"GrtPmpkin32" wrote in message
[...]

Try searching with the names of defunct services such as Primestar:

http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/P...Primestar.html

It seems the dishes work fine for wireless networking.

Frank Dresser

Old November 30th 03, 09:47 PM
J999w

You can use the dish for KU band free to air (FTA) stuff, but the feed is
circularly polarized (not sure which direction left or right) and you'd need
another receiver (fairly inexpensive). Most FTA in linear (horiz or vert), but
there are some South American satellites easily visible from the east coast
that are circular.

I've been playing with C band (3Ghz) with a 7 ft dish and hope to get Ku
(12Ghz) running soon. Kinda fun.

jw
wb9uai
milwaukee
Old November 30th 03, 10:31 PM
starman

GrtPmpkin32 wrote:

[...]

Try posting to rec.video.satellite.dbs

Old December 1st 03, 12:15 AM
Richard Cranium

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message ...
[...]

And if they aren't too light, the receivers can be decent doorstops!

Old December 1st 03, 05:23 AM
WShoots1

Isn't C band, which is analog, on its way out as the birds die?

Bill, K5BY
Old December 1st 03, 04:54 PM
J999w

Isn't C band, which is analog, on its way out as the birds die?

Bill, K5BY

Analog is on it's way out, but not C band. The trend is towards digital but
there are quite a few wild feeds on analog yet. The Outdoor Channel, PBS, and
others can still be found on C band analog.

jw
wb9uai
milwaukee
Old December 2nd 03, 04:14 AM
zenithdude

The local cable provider has a fenced outdoor area about the size of a
single car garage that has hundreds of small dishes and receivers piled to
the top. Apparently they don't charge an installation fee if you give them
your old system... hence the pile. Makes quite an impression as you pull
into the parking lot as it's meant to do. This stuff is all out in the open
free for the taking, but the pile certainly never gets smaller.

Then there's always those innocent soles at the weekend flea market trying
to sell their beloved Dish Network system for $250 since they paid $500 for
it 8 years ago. Don't folks ever learn?

"Beloved Leader" wrote in message
om...

I've scavenged a bunch of the dishes from the trash, and I've wondered
what I could do with them. The best answer I've received so far is
that make wonderful birdbaths.

Old December 2nd 03, 05:36 AM
WShoots1

Analog is on it's way out, but not C band. The trend is towards digital

Thanks, JW. That explains some of the discussion I heard on SW this morning
regarding types of feeds between facilities.

Bill, K5BY