Old June 19th 04, 12:06 AM
Dave Platt

In article pZ.com.invalid,
Sylvan Butler d wrote:

He may want to consider using 1/4" soft copper tubing for the
greater diameter. One could, I imagine, fill the tubing with
something if it needed to be self-supporting. Or else just use
small diameter rigid tubing.

Agreed. I'd be tempted to try brass tubing, available from good hobby
shops - it's light and rigid.

There are some very effective DF/foxhunt antenna designs on the Web
for which the elements are pieces cut out of a scrapped steel
measuring tape. The material is light, quite stiff when it snaps out
into shape, and can survive numerous whacks and bends without
suffering permanent deformation. I'm sure its electrical losses are a
good deal higher than for copper, but unless you're DF'ing really weak
signals I doubt that this would be a problem. Just make sure you put
some sort of protective coating or cap over the cut ends... they're
sharp and could easily scratch / cut / put-out-an-eye!

--
Dave Platt AE6EO