Old June 15th 04, 04:04 PM
John Shadle

Default source for solid copper #10 AWG

I'm trying to complete an antenna project and was wondering if anyone knew
of a source for bare, solid copper #10 AWG.

Thanks in advance,
-john, W4PAH

Old June 15th 04, 04:20 PM

John Shadle wrote:
I'm trying to complete an antenna project and was wondering if anyone knew
of a source for bare, solid copper #10 AWG.

Thanks in advance,
-john, W4PAH

Local hardware store.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old June 15th 04, 05:02 PM
Gary S.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:04:34 -0400, John Shadle
wrote:

I'm trying to complete an antenna project and was wondering if anyone knew
of a source for bare, solid copper #10 AWG.

Home Depot or any other place that sells building supplies.

Usually sold as grounding wire, often more than one size available.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old June 15th 04, 06:52 PM
barry

hi john,

Not sure how much you need, try some # 10-2 romex type house wire 25 ' box
at any home depot, lowes or menards, etc. they also cut to length.

Just strip off what you need and plenty for projects.

73 barry

Old June 16th 04, 01:39 AM
The Masked Marvel

Try an electrical wholesaler, though it is likely annealed, not hard drawn.
Also www.mscdirect.com for "Copper Ground Wire" they have 10, 8 & 6 AWG
solid, but in long spools ~$100 each.

Old June 16th 04, 11:00 AM
Edward A. Feustel

"John Shadle" wrote in message
I'm trying to complete an antenna project and was wondering if anyone knew
of a source for bare, solid copper #10 AWG.

Thanks in advance,
-john, W4PAH

Do you really want to use solid copper in the antenna? It stretches!
For a long antenna, copperweld would be much better!

Ed, N5EI

Old June 18th 04, 01:05 AM
Russ

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 06:00:49 -0400, "Edward A. Feustel"
wrote:

"John Shadle" wrote in message
I'm trying to complete an antenna project and was wondering if anyone knew
of a source for bare, solid copper #10 AWG.

Thanks in advance,
-john, W4PAH

Do you really want to use solid copper in the antenna? It stretches!
For a long antenna, copperweld would be much better!

Ed, N5EI

I actually have met John and spoke with him in person about this on
Monday night. The wire is for a small 2M beam for DFing. It needs to
be quite stiff and increased diameter will make for better B/W.

Russ - kf4wxd
Old June 18th 04, 11:45 PM
Sylvan Butler

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:05:40 GMT, Russ wrote:
I actually have met John and spoke with him in person about this on
Monday night. The wire is for a small 2M beam for DFing. It needs to
be quite stiff and increased diameter will make for better B/W.

"quite stiff" as in self-supporting? Don't want plain copper wire
then. Even #10 copper wire will barely self-support in lengths
suitable for 2m antenna. Any weather or bump and your antenna will
need to be straightened. In the same aisle at the hardware store
they probably have bare copper up to #4 or #2. Much stronger. And
not much more money in the quantity needed for a small 2m beam.

He may want to consider using 1/4" soft copper tubing for the
greater diameter. One could, I imagine, fill the tubing with
something if it needed to be self-supporting. Or else just use
small diameter rigid tubing.

sdb

--
| Sylvan Butler | Not speaking for Hewlett-Packard | sbutler-boi.hp.com |
| Watch out for my e-mail address. Thank UCE. change ^ to @ |
Old June 19th 04, 12:06 AM
Dave Platt

In article pZ.com.invalid,
Sylvan Butler d wrote:

He may want to consider using 1/4" soft copper tubing for the
greater diameter. One could, I imagine, fill the tubing with
something if it needed to be self-supporting. Or else just use
small diameter rigid tubing.

Agreed. I'd be tempted to try brass tubing, available from good hobby
shops - it's light and rigid.

There are some very effective DF/foxhunt antenna designs on the Web
for which the elements are pieces cut out of a scrapped steel
measuring tape. The material is light, quite stiff when it snaps out
into shape, and can survive numerous whacks and bends without
suffering permanent deformation. I'm sure its electrical losses are a
good deal higher than for copper, but unless you're DF'ing really weak
signals I doubt that this would be a problem. Just make sure you put
some sort of protective coating or cap over the cut ends... they're
sharp and could easily scratch / cut / put-out-an-eye!

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Steel to Copper Dave Antenna 13 June 11th 04 04:48 PM
Tx Source Impedance & Load Reflections Richard Fry Antenna 8 May 28th 04 06:29 PM
Shielding Question Mike Coslo Antenna 12 February 14th 04 01:10 PM
Is it possible to have a 1:1 SWR? Macman Antenna 44 December 31st 03 09:54 PM
SWR will change with Source Z if you measure AT the Source Tarmo Tammaru Antenna 18 August 30th 03 03:18 AM