Old June 24th 04, 03:17 PM
Irv Finkleman

AA5QT wrote:

For the first time in many years, I'm about to put up a 20 meter monobander on
a tower. The XYL is asking questions I cannot answer, specifically relating to
RF and birds. I wouldn't want to be a bird sitting on an element when a KW is
supplied to it? Are my concerns valid?

Gary K5QT

Back in the '60's, at Naval Radio Station CKN, we had a number, perhaps ten or
fifteen, of multikilowatt transmitters all feeding the antennas
through open wire line. The transmitter building was like a huge barn with all the
wires running from the transmitters to the antennas. An occasional bird would fly in,
and we would chase them out with a broom! We never lost a bird, but the junior hand on
the watch would have to sweep out, and in an evening we could count on half a trash-can
full of dead flies! The building was in the middle of a swamp area and full of assorted
flying insects. Those same flies were responsible for occasional trip-off's of the
transmitters, and you could hear frequent snaps if and when they happened
into a critical area, for example between capacitor plates, and drew an arc.
If you picked up a fluorescent tube, it would light up from all the RF floating
around. I've often wondered about how much effect the RF had on me -- although
my Ex would tell you I am stark raving mad! :-0

The antenna fields should have been filled with dead birds if the feeders or
the antennas themselves were a hazard, but apparently not.

Ah, the memories! Great!

Irv VE6BP
--
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001